Old 20-06-2007, 07:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default A really wierd year

Just another of the vagaries of orchid growing, Bob!

Diana

"bobc" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jun 19, 6:17 pm, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:
It's been strange down here since the '04 hurricanes. Things are still
blooming at odd times. I have a V. denisoniana which bloomed in January.
It
is in full spike now. Now, this is a species which can bloom more than
once
yearly, but this is an off month, at least for this particular plant. An
Angraecum eburnium didn't bloom at all this year, after sending out a
glorious display last year. Many Catts are blooming off season, and some
more frequently than before.

I'll take what I can get!

Diana

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message

Is it me or is something wierd happening in the orchid world?

I have a Dendrobium farmeri that in the 5 years I've been growing has
never bloomed. I gave it cattleya lighting. It was a lush green
plant.
This year out of frustration I put a plant hanger on it and hung it
outside on the fence. If it survived then I would bring in back into
the
house in September. If it died, well no loss since I have plenty of
leafy
plants. Today I noticed the leaves are getting bleached out a bit but
it's
sending out at least 3 spikes. Hey plant....it's mid June and you are
supposed to be a spring bloomer!

I also have a Vanda sanderiana (Euanthe sanderiana). Each year this
plant
sends out 1 or 2 spikes in November. Usually the tip of the spike
turns
to mush and I only get 1 or 2 flowers. I hung it outside in May with
the
other Vandas and noticed a couple of weeks ago that I have the nicest
spike forming that is not showing any mush! My plan was to grow it out
nicely and offer it at the sales table for someone who has better
culture
with this species.

My Phal belina that blooms in October is spiking now. Other stuff
seems
to be off schedule.

Should I hang a calendar in the garden so these plants can see they
aren't
supposed to be blooming now?

Good Growing,
Gene- Hide quoted text -

Howdy folks!
I don't know if this classifies as wierd but I have a Howeara Lava
Burst 'Puanani' that flowers a couple times a year. During winter the
flowers are a deep lava red color with very little yellow on the lip.
During the summer it's a pale lava red with a bit more yellow on the
lip. A division of this plant, that I split myself is growing under
fluorescent light and flowering now. The tepals are pale lava red
( expected ... it's been warm ) but the lip is almost entirely
yellow. The 'parent' plant from which I took this division isn't
flowering at all, but it is putting out a new growth!
I mentioned the difference in color before and learned it's normal,
that many flower's color intensity is influenced by temperature.

OT - My 'real' job - commercial office building maintainence, not
horticulture g - should be interesting this year, more than usual.
A movie production company leased space in one of my buildings.
Filming is being done nearby, but not onsite. This is the first time
I've had a production company as a tenant. I'm excited, and
apprehensive too. I think it will be a neat experience.