Old 21-06-2007, 01:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny danny is offline

Default A really wierd year

My bellinas are spiking too (one should be open today, need to run
downstairs and check). Growing under lights, some things stick to a
schedule and some don't. For stuff that hasn't bloomed in a long time, just
giving it some sort of shock (temp, light, absence of water, absence of
fertilizer) could make it bloom depending on the species.

On a cultural note, I've heard a couple times now that you can bloom the
nobile dendrobiums well by controlling the fertilizer (none after August,
resume when it's budding). Apparently one of the big growers in Hawaii
blooms them by controlling temperature. Lots of different triggers can work
on some of the plants.

-danny

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
Is it me or is something wierd happening in the orchid world?

I have a Dendrobium farmeri that in the 5 years I've been growing has
never bloomed. I gave it cattleya lighting. It was a lush green plant.
This year out of frustration I put a plant hanger on it and hung it
outside on the fence. If it survived then I would bring in back into the
house in September. If it died, well no loss since I have plenty of leafy
plants. Today I noticed the leaves are getting bleached out a bit but it's
sending out at least 3 spikes. Hey plant....it's mid June and you are
supposed to be a spring bloomer!

I also have a Vanda sanderiana (Euanthe sanderiana). Each year this plant
sends out 1 or 2 spikes in November. Usually the tip of the spike turns
to mush and I only get 1 or 2 flowers. I hung it outside in May with the
other Vandas and noticed a couple of weeks ago that I have the nicest
spike forming that is not showing any mush! My plan was to grow it out
nicely and offer it at the sales table for someone who has better culture
with this species.

My Phal belina that blooms in October is spiking now. Other stuff seems
to be off schedule.

Should I hang a calendar in the garden so these plants can see they aren't
supposed to be blooming now?

Good Growing,
Gene