Old 22-06-2007, 04:00 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default Cat poop in gardens - partial solutions

On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 11:33:27 -0700, z wrote:

On Jun 20, 5:28 pm, Sheldon wrote:

I read that chicken wire works too, but I
havn't tried that.

Cats can scale chicken wire fences easily but they can't climb a
turkey wire fence.

Not a fence, the idea is you put the chicken wire on the ground kind
of like a mulch. It bugs the cats that they can't scratch around and
dig the way they like to on their toidy, so they go elsewhere. Other
suggestions are stuff like aluminum foil, but I don't see how that
would work in a garden. Rose branch trimmings seems like a good idea,
but I ended up impaling myself a lot.

Sigh. Every so often I have to post what to me is the easiest
solution:

Orange peels. Cats hate citrus.

After you peel an orange, cut up the peel in small pieces and scatter
them among the plants. Especially useful on stretches of bare ground
or where seedlings are just coming up. Haven't had a problem yet!

Mothballs and cigarette butts also work, but unsightly and, in the
case of mothballs, might have a downside. And it's hard to find
smokers among one's friends and neighbors -- at least out here.

Viva la naranja!

Persephone