Old 30-03-2003, 10:20 PM
animaux

Default For Victoria: Torching the sedge

Juty, juty, juty; we are talking about pre-existing nutsedge. These are
produced en masse by way of soil disturbance. In many cases the only way to get
rid of it is to pull it out very gently.

Last year we were discussing using one of those small torches with propane gas
to burn the small leaves as they emerge. If you cut off the part of the plant
which is photosynthesized, you can contain the growth of the nuts in the ground.
Every year I try to remove more and more of it. To date I know of no way to
kill it other than removal. Not even synthetic chemicals are designed to kill
it. They SAY it will kill it, but it doesn't get it all. Nutsedge can stay
dormant in soil for EVER. A little disturbed soil and voila, nutsedge.

On 30 Mar 2003 08:52:31 GMT, (JStubbs358) wrote:

Let me make sure I understand. You are graciously doing a test for us on how to
get rid of that horrible nuts sedge by burning it? How do you keep the rest of
things from burning? and why would the little nuts underground care? wouldn't
hey come back greener like your yard when you accidently burn it down?
judy7b