Old 22-06-2007, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pinetree Pinetree is offline

Default Hops vine and Stonehenge?

First I've heard that you can eat the shoots. I'll give it a try. I'm all
for eating the stuff instead of killing it ). p.s. Do you mean Charles
Darwin - I never read anything of his on Stonehenge? Though of course I do
have some of the same DNA as the worms g Regards, Pinetree.

"MadCow" wrote in message
In message 0WEei.6160$xk5.3384@edtnps82, Pinetree
writes
I'm thinking of rejuvenating an old rock garden. (Think of a
mini-Stonehenge: the boulders are now too heavy and too deeply sunk to

move.
Which makes me wonder if anyone knows how much of those real Stonehenge
boulders (on average) are below ground now four(?) thousand years later

)

Yes, Stonehenge has been studied in minute detail. There's something
about it in Mr Darwin's excellent book on earthworms.

An old hops vine has crept into the rock garden. Can I get rid of it

without
disturbing the other well-established garden plants in there? I hate
poisons, but I'm thinking the only way to do this, is to paint some

chemical
on the new hops shoots and hope it will do the job. Question is: what
poison? And is this my only option?
Also, do I have to wait until next spring, when there is an abundance of

new
shoots to play with? .... Pinetree

If you want to use chemicals, glyphosate gel is probably best.

If you prefer to avoid them, cut the shoots off at ground level. They
will regrow: each time they come up, cut and cook like asparagus.

--
Sue ]