Old 22-06-2007, 01:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hops vine and Stonehenge?

I'm thinking of rejuvenating an old rock garden. (Think of a
mini-Stonehenge: the boulders are now too heavy and too deeply sunk to move.
Which makes me wonder if anyone knows how much of those real Stonehenge
boulders (on average) are below ground now four(?) thousand years later )
An old hops vine has crept into the rock garden. Can I get rid of it without
disturbing the other well-established garden plants in there? I hate
poisons, but I'm thinking the only way to do this, is to paint some chemical
on the new hops shoots and hope it will do the job. Question is: what
poison? And is this my only option?
Also, do I have to wait until next spring, when there is an abundance of new
shoots to play with? .... Pinetree

Old 22-06-2007, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message 0WEei.6160$xk5.3384@edtnps82, Pinetree
writes
I'm thinking of rejuvenating an old rock garden. (Think of a
mini-Stonehenge: the boulders are now too heavy and too deeply sunk to move.
Which makes me wonder if anyone knows how much of those real Stonehenge
boulders (on average) are below ground now four(?) thousand years later )

Yes, Stonehenge has been studied in minute detail. There's something
about it in Mr Darwin's excellent book on earthworms.

An old hops vine has crept into the rock garden. Can I get rid of it without
disturbing the other well-established garden plants in there? I hate
poisons, but I'm thinking the only way to do this, is to paint some chemical
on the new hops shoots and hope it will do the job. Question is: what
poison? And is this my only option?
Also, do I have to wait until next spring, when there is an abundance of new
shoots to play with? .... Pinetree

If you want to use chemicals, glyphosate gel is probably best.

If you prefer to avoid them, cut the shoots off at ground level. They
will regrow: each time they come up, cut and cook like asparagus.

--
Sue ]
Old 22-06-2007, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/6/07 01:42, in article 0WEei.6160$xk5.3384@edtnps82, "Pinetree"
wrote:

I'm thinking of rejuvenating an old rock garden. (Think of a
mini-Stonehenge: the boulders are now too heavy and too deeply sunk to move.
Which makes me wonder if anyone knows how much of those real Stonehenge
boulders (on average) are below ground now four(?) thousand years later )

snip

We used to have an urgler whose husband was an archaeologist who did some
eminent work on Stonehenge - shame she's not here now! One piece I read
said that the bases of the stones were sunk to five feet.
http://www.astronomy.pomona.edu/arch...enge/descr.htm

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 22-06-2007, 11:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

First I've heard that you can eat the shoots. I'll give it a try. I'm all
for eating the stuff instead of killing it ). p.s. Do you mean Charles
Darwin - I never read anything of his on Stonehenge? Though of course I do
have some of the same DNA as the worms g Regards, Pinetree.

)

Old 22-06-2007, 11:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Don't we learn marvellous things here. Because wot you see, like the
iceburg, is not the whole of the matter. g I'll *gurgle* over to to the
web-site you gave below. Many thanks...Pinetree.

. uk...

Old 23-06-2007, 06:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
wrote:

I'm thinking of rejuvenating an old rock garden. (Think of a
mini-Stonehenge: the boulders are now too heavy and too deeply sunk to move.
Which makes me wonder if anyone knows how much of those real Stonehenge
boulders (on average) are below ground now four(?) thousand years later )

snip

We used to have an urgler whose husband was an archaeologist who did some
eminent work on Stonehenge - shame she's not here now! One piece I read
said that the bases of the stones were sunk to five feet.
http://www.astronomy.pomona.edu/arch...enge/descr.htm

"The Formation of Vegetable Mould through the Action of Worms, with
Observations on their Habits" by Charles Darwin, 1881. A very good read
for anyone interested in soil, earthworms, or the way the Victorians did
science.

My copy's a 1945 reprint with an introduction by a knighted scientist
explaining its importance. Stephen Jay Gould said the book was regarded
as a trivial retirement hobby by US geologists of his generation, but
that was after the "green revolution" and US farmers have never looked
after their soil.

He was interested in the way worms bury stones and ancient remains by
burrowing under them and casting the soil onto the surface beside them.
He found that a fallen stone at Stonehenge had sunk ten inches, and
another 9 1/2 inches (measured before mass tourism wore the ground away)
so worms won't have added much to the depth of the standing stones'
bases.
Hops need a deep moist soil, so your garden is likely to have more worms
burying things faster, but it seems an inch in five years is good going.
Do you know how old your rockery is?

--
Sue ]