Old 22-06-2007, 10:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
San Diego Joe San Diego Joe is offline

Default Price advice needed

"Ralph & His Clowder" wrote:

It's time to do some fish culling and also get rid of some of the water
hyacinth that is rapidly taking over the pond, so I thought I'd have a pond
sale instead of a yard sale.

I was thinking of charging $1 a plant for water hyacinth (which is hard to get
since we can't import it into Arizona), sell some of my miniature water
lettuce at 4 for $1, and bundles of rooted parrots feather for 5 pieces for
$1. Does this seem reasonable? Too high? Too low?

As for fish, these are just common goldfish, last year's fry who are now about
5" long. Maybe $3 each? I'm really at sea here. We're at least 115 miles from
the nearest LFS or PetSmart so it's not as if people could just hop in their
cars and bring home fish half an hour later. I've got at least 25 I'd like to
find new homes for but I'm reluctant to just give them away.

Any advice will be appreciated. The sale is tomorrow (Saturday).

Gabrielle in southern Arizona
www.clowder.net/cats/Turtles/pondcam.html
http://www.clowder.net/cats/Turtles/pondcam.html

A buck for the water hyacinth is probably okay but I think you¹d be lucky to
give away the fish.

San Diego Joe
4,000 - 5,000 Gallons.
Koi, Goldfish, and RES named Colombo.