Old 23-06-2007, 01:02 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Plant ID Please - 1 attachment

"Gerry D (Canada)" wrote ...
Also called Peruvian Lily, it is nevertheless NOT a lily and NOT hardy. In
zone 8 perhaps,
but not in zone 3. They have tubers (true lilies have bulbs) that are
treated like
dahlias.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alstroemeria en
http://home.howstuffworks.com/define...ly-of-peru.htm for
more info.

The "Princess Lilies" are probably the best strain.

Hardiness, is always a problem when an Englishman talks about plants to an
American, to us it means it grows outside all year in our garden, might not
10 miles down the road, in the US you talk about climate zones which are
totally meaningless here.

In the UK they are considered hardy in the southern counties and some
favourable areas further North, certainly are in my area where we have had
them in flower during the winter. Our Dahlias stay where they are in the
winter too perhaps with a bit of mulch over them.
However I do realise parts of the N. American continent get considerably
colder winters with it below freezing for some weeks which is never the case
here now.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden