Old 24-06-2007, 06:37 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Dave Dave is offline

Default peppers

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
k.net...
"Rachael Simpson" wrote in message
Anybody have any good recommendations for an "organic" fertilizer for
peppers? Not doing to good with just manure this year. Growth is
stunted like. I've had lots of blossoms, but only 2 peppers. They have
only grown about 2 inches since planting. I have a variety of peppers,
sweet & hot. Significant amount of water each day, but not too much. No
problem with bugs & other pests, no spots or browning on leaves. All
other plants that were planted the same day as the peppers are doing
fine, even doubled their size. Just having trouble with the peppers
lagging behind in growth. Do they need some other type of fertilizer, or
is something else wrong?

thanks for any input,
Rachael aka Rae

PS: in south/sandhill area of NC

Candidly, I can't see jalapenos producing anything at 2" tall... Must be
a midget pepper.
Dave

Ha, I didn't mean that the plants were only two inches tall now - i meant
they had only grown an additional 2 inches since being placed out side.
No jalopenos either. cayenne, tabasco, peter pepper, hot banana, green
bell. Bought the plants at the nursery, didn't have time to start my own
this year. In all, from root to top, they were about 6 inches before I
planted them. I planted the tomatos the same day as the peppers. Now
usually, the peppers and tomatos kinda keep up with each other a while,
but this year the tomatos have already tripled their size (as of
yesterday!) and peppers haven't done much. I don't know, maybe I just
have exceptional tomato plants this year................did get some bone
meal to try - haven't had a chance to get out there to put it out yet
though. Gonna try to later this morning.

Area here has had less than usual direct sun. Mostly overcast. The
jalapenoes have been lagging my tomatoes as well. Yet, where you live, in
drought and sunny conditions, have the same dilemma with other pepper
varieties. Jalapenoes are producing here, just short in stature. Grow all
mine from seed. Try jalapenoes next year for reference for your other
pepper varieties. Save one for seed the following year.
Dave