Old 21-06-2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default peppers

Anybody have any good recommendations for an "organic" fertilizer for
peppers? Not doing to good with just manure this year. Growth is stunted
like. I've had lots of blossoms, but only 2 peppers. They have only grown
about 2 inches since planting. I have a variety of peppers, sweet & hot.
Significant amount of water each day, but not too much. No problem with bugs
& other pests, no spots or browning on leaves. All other plants that were
planted the same day as the peppers are doing fine, even doubled their size.
Just having trouble with the peppers lagging behind in growth. Do they need
some other type of fertilizer, or is something else wrong?

thanks for any input,
Rachael aka Rae

PS: in south/sandhill area of NC

Old 21-06-2007, 04:33 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Rachael Simpson wrote:

Anybody have any good recommendations for an "organic" fertilizer for
peppers? Not doing to good with just manure this year. Growth is stunted
like. I've had lots of blossoms, but only 2 peppers. They have only grown
about 2 inches since planting. I have a variety of peppers, sweet & hot.
Significant amount of water each day, but not too much. No problem with bugs
& other pests, no spots or browning on leaves. All other plants that were
planted the same day as the peppers are doing fine, even doubled their size.
Just having trouble with the peppers lagging behind in growth. Do they need
some other type of fertilizer, or is something else wrong?

Peppers can be slow to take off, and they do like the heat. If you've
had a cool spring, that may be it.

They can also be pretty greedy - are any of the leaves yellowing?

I've used fish emulsion for years. Not 100% organic, but close enough.
Slow release and high in nitrogen.

--

..NET 2.0 for Delphi Programmers
www.midnightbeach.com/.net
Old 21-06-2007, 05:25 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in message
Anybody have any good recommendations for an "organic" fertilizer for
peppers?

Our peppers are a bit slow this year due to the drought. They're just
developing flowers now. We have to water them bi-weekly.

Good organic fertilizers are blood meal for nitrogen. Bone meal for
phosphate and wood ashes for potash. Fish emulsion can get expensive,
smells really bad and can draw unwanted pests to the garden like coons and
possums.

Old 21-06-2007, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Jon Shemitz" wrote in message
Rachael Simpson wrote:

[...]

Definitely not cool. We had a long spring and late frost. But the past 3-4
weeks have been 80+. Plants look good in color, just not growing.

Old 21-06-2007, 03:13 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Garbodanno" wrote in message

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in message
Anybody have any good recommendations for an "organic" fertilizer for
peppers?

Our peppers are a bit slow this year due to the drought. They're just
developing flowers now. We have to water them bi-weekly.

Good organic fertilizers are blood meal for nitrogen. Bone meal for
phosphate and wood ashes for potash. Fish emulsion can get expensive,
smells really bad and can draw unwanted pests to the garden like coons and
possums.

Ok, thanks for the tips on the emulsion, leaning more towards the blood &
bones meal now. Already have a possum that's fell in love with my van of
all things. Look out there any time of night, and the little bugger is
sitting up on top of it. Would be ironic if my van was the one to run over
it one day.......

We are in drought also, at least 9 inch deficent. Been keeping them watered
though.

Rae

Old 22-06-2007, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On 2007-06-21 10:09:20 -0400, "Rachael Simpson"
said:

Definitely not cool. We had a long spring and late frost. But the past 3-4
weeks have been 80+. Plants look good in color, just not growing.

Try hollytone.

Old 22-06-2007, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default hollytone/was peppers

On 2007-06-21 10:09:20 -0400, "Rachael Simpson"
said:

Definitely not cool. We had a long spring and late frost. But the past
3-4
weeks have been 80+. Plants look good in color, just not growing.

Try hollytone.

Hollytone?? Not familiar with this.....what can you tell me about it?
Application, price, etc.............did a search on the 'net, but couldn't
find out much. Anyone have experience with this?

Old 22-06-2007, 08:30 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

"Rachael Simpson" expounded:

Hollytone?? Not familiar with this.....what can you tell me about it?
Application, price, etc.............did a search on the 'net, but couldn't
find out much. Anyone have experience with this?

Excellent fertilizer for rhodies and the like made by Espoma.
http://www.espoma.com/

I've used their products for years, Rosetone is my favorite for, of
all things, roses G Feed and grain type stores (farm supply and
such) carry it around here, I don't know if the box stores do.
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 22-06-2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

Hollytone?? Not familiar with this.....what can you tell me about it?
Application, price, etc.............did a search on the 'net, but couldn't
find out much. Anyone have experience with this?

Hollytone is a mostly organic 4-6-4 fertilizer for acid loving plants.
To help increase the acidity, it contains 5% sulfur. The ingredients
a manure, feather meal, crab meal, cocoa meal, corn gluten,
cottonseed meal, dried blood, sunflower meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal,
greensand, rock phosphate, sulfate of potash, humates, ammonium sulfate,
and triple super phosphate.

Check it out at www.hollytone.com

It is a great product. For rhododendrons and azaleas, I recommend using
it once each spring at half the rate on the package.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html

Old 23-06-2007, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

My peppers are planted in a raised bed, covered in black plastic.
When I plant them I put 3 wooden match sticks in each hole. I was told
this by a lady 20 years ago who owned her own nursery and it hasn't
failed me yet. It was 45 degrees here last night so my plastic is
holding the heat of the day and I have little red chilis already about
an inch long so I guessing somethings working for me! I do not fertilize
with anything else all summer and usually get quite a yield from my
peppers. I have 20 plants in, all different assortments, sweet and hot,
red and green. I do not expect any major growth till the nights are
warm here, which might be a few weeks away yet here....northern lower
Michigan!

Old 23-06-2007, 05:40 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in message
Anybody have any good recommendations for an "organic" fertilizer for
peppers? Not doing to good with just manure this year. Growth is stunted
like. I've had lots of blossoms, but only 2 peppers. They have only
grown about 2 inches since planting. I have a variety of peppers, sweet &
hot. Significant amount of water each day, but not too much. No problem
with bugs & other pests, no spots or browning on leaves. All other plants
that were planted the same day as the peppers are doing fine, even doubled
their size. Just having trouble with the peppers lagging behind in growth.
Do they need some other type of fertilizer, or is something else wrong?

thanks for any input,
Rachael aka Rae

PS: in south/sandhill area of NC

Candidly, I can't see jalapenos producing anything at 2" tall... Must be a
midget pepper.
Dave

Old 23-06-2007, 06:49 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article t,
"Dave" wrote:

[...]

I don't have an answer Rachael but if I couldn't see a problem, I'd try
some B1. If you can get the roots to grow, the rest will follow along.
Good luck,
--
Billy
Old 23-06-2007, 12:47 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Dave" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

Ha, I didn't mean that the plants were only two inches tall now - i meant
they had only grown an additional 2 inches since being placed out side. No
jalopenos either. cayenne, tabasco, peter pepper, hot banana, green bell.
Bought the plants at the nursery, didn't have time to start my own this
year. In all, from root to top, they were about 6 inches before I planted
them. I planted the tomatos the same day as the peppers. Now usually, the
peppers and tomatos kinda keep up with each other a while, but this year the
tomatos have already tripled their size (as of yesterday!) and peppers
haven't done much. I don't know, maybe I just have exceptional tomato
plants this year................did get some bone meal to try - haven't had
a chance to get out there to put it out yet though. Gonna try to later this
morning.

Old 24-06-2007, 06:37 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in message

"Dave" wrote in message
k.net...
[...]

Area here has had less than usual direct sun. Mostly overcast. The
jalapenoes have been lagging my tomatoes as well. Yet, where you live, in
drought and sunny conditions, have the same dilemma with other pepper
varieties. Jalapenoes are producing here, just short in stature. Grow all
mine from seed. Try jalapenoes next year for reference for your other
pepper varieties. Save one for seed the following year.
Dave