Old 24-06-2007, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens
Sheldon[_1_] Sheldon[_1_] is offline

Default Sprinkler Head for Rectangle

On Jun 24, 1:16?pm, fb wrote:
We need to include several rectangular areas in our sprinkler system.
These areas are 5 x 15, 4 x 14, and 4 to 5 x 17. The Toro catalog
illustrates side, center, and end strip patterns as all rectangular.
The Rainbird catalog shows the center strip shaped like a bow tie
(spraying wider from a narrow center) and the end strip as half a bow
tie (spraying from narrow to wide). If you've had actual experience
sprinkling rectangles, your advice would be appreciated.

I'll assume you're watering lawn. I had an automatic lawn sprinkler
system at my last house, with Rainbird heads. With the configuration
you have (long rectangles) setting the sprinkler heads at the
perimeter in the center of the long and short edges worked best... set
each to spray a half circle and adjust for size of area covered, a
little overspray and overlap is desirable. From my experience
avoiding the pulsating heads as much as possible resulted in far less
pattern readjusting and head replacements... especially when heads are
set at curbside, even in the best neighborhoods the hooligans
strolling home in the wee hours from a night of carousing will decide
your pulsating sprinkler heads are great fun for cooling off on a hot
night and they'll usually use a few for soccer practice before they
move on. For some reason they weren't attracted to the quiet
stationary type heads