Old 24-06-2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.gardens
fb fb is offline

Default Sprinkler Head for Rectangle

We need to include several rectangular areas in our sprinkler system.
These areas are 5 x 15, 4 x 14, and 4 to 5 x 17. The Toro catalog
illustrates side, center, and end strip patterns as all rectangular.
The Rainbird catalog shows the center strip shaped like a bow tie
(spraying wider from a narrow center) and the end strip as half a bow
tie (spraying from narrow to wide). If you've had actual experience
sprinkling rectangles, your advice would be appreciated.

Old 24-06-2007, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 24, 1:16?pm, fb wrote:
We need to include several rectangular areas in our sprinkler system.
These areas are 5 x 15, 4 x 14, and 4 to 5 x 17. The Toro catalog
illustrates side, center, and end strip patterns as all rectangular.
The Rainbird catalog shows the center strip shaped like a bow tie
(spraying wider from a narrow center) and the end strip as half a bow
tie (spraying from narrow to wide). If you've had actual experience
sprinkling rectangles, your advice would be appreciated.

I'll assume you're watering lawn. I had an automatic lawn sprinkler
system at my last house, with Rainbird heads. With the configuration
you have (long rectangles) setting the sprinkler heads at the
perimeter in the center of the long and short edges worked best... set
each to spray a half circle and adjust for size of area covered, a
little overspray and overlap is desirable. From my experience
avoiding the pulsating heads as much as possible resulted in far less
pattern readjusting and head replacements... especially when heads are
set at curbside, even in the best neighborhoods the hooligans
strolling home in the wee hours from a night of carousing will decide
your pulsating sprinkler heads are great fun for cooling off on a hot
night and they'll usually use a few for soccer practice before they
move on. For some reason they weren't attracted to the quiet
stationary type heads

Old 27-06-2007, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

I've not seen heads that cover other than a circular, or semi-circular,
area, with the exception of drip watering systems.

For my rectangular front lawn (all heads from one line on the long edge
of the rectangle; a line on each long edge would probably be better, but
more work), I have quarter circle spray heads at each end, and half
circle spray heads along the edge, with enough that each area is covered
by two heads. I also have some long rectangular flower beds and I put
in drip irrigation there, which works well with flower beds, but I don't
know how it would work with a lawn.

I visited Rainbird's site (I have their system) and was disappointed to
see that they apparently no longer offer a self-design service; you have
to send them a map and rely on their design. Perhaps too many people
could not handle the volume and pressure calculations and were mis
designing their own system. I also noted that the local store they list
as carrying their product in fact does not carry their product (I
visited the store), but a local irrigation supply house accommodated me,
and I always expect that products sold through suppliers are of a
superior grade to those sold to the public. Also, some of the drip
supply pieces that I got some years ago are apparently no longer made.

I'm happy with my rainbird system, but their web site and distribution
don't seem to be as good as they were a few years ago; I'd be inclined
to check out the other brands now.

Old 28-06-2007, 10:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

With sprinkler heads they usuall use a quarter circle (90°) ones in the
corners and semicircle (180°) ones on the sides. It works well. They
are also out of the way when they are on the edges like that.

My oldest sprinkler is for rectangular areas. It has adjustable stops
so you can hit as wide an area as you want. It is called an Oscillator
Sprinklers:

It is similar to Gilmour Patter Master Oscillator Sprinkler 8800D
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...8221&cp=&fbx=0
&fbn=Taxonomy%7CSprinklers&f=Taxonomy%2FACE%2F2568 444&f=Taxonomy%2FACE%2F
2602623&fbc=1&kw=sprinkler&parentPage=search&searc hId=20973256854

or Ace Hardware Oscillating Sprinkler 4200A
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...2592&cp=&fbx=0
&fbn=Taxonomy%7CSprinklers&f=Taxonomy%2FACE%2F2568 444&f=Taxonomy%2FACE%2F
2602623&fbc=1&kw=sprinkler&parentPage=search&searc hId=20973256854

or Ace Hardware Oscillating Sprinkler 4010A
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...2590&cp=&pg=2&
fbx=0&fbn=Taxonomy%7CSprinklers&f=Taxonomy%2FACE%2 F2568444&f=Taxonomy%2FA
CE%2F2602623&fbc=1&kw=sprinkler&parentPage=search& searchId=20973188604

or Gilmour Perfect Cover Oscillator Sprinkler 8836
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...8220&cp=&pg=5&
fbx=0&fbn=Taxonomy%7CSprinklers&f=Taxonomy%2FACE%2 F2568444&f=Taxonomy%2FA
CE%2F2602623&fbc=1&kw=sprinkler&parentPage=search& searchId=20973318244

or Ace Oscillating Sprinkler 261A
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...2973&cp=&pg=3&
fbx=0&fbn=Taxonomy%7CSprinklers&f=Taxonomy%2FACE%2 F2568444&f=Taxonomy%2FA
CE%2F2602623&fbc=1&kw=sprinkler&parentPage=search& searchId=20973277464

and virtually identical to Ace Hardware Oscillating Sprinkler 360MA
http://www.acehardware.com/product/i...2979&cp=&pg=2&
fbx=0&fbn=Taxonomy%7CSprinklers&f=Taxonomy%2FACE%2 F2568444&f=Taxonomy%2FA
CE%2F2602623&fbc=1&kw=sprinkler&parentPage=search& searchId=20973188604

A soaker hose has a rectangular pattern also.
--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
http://rhodyman.net/rahome.html

[IMG] code is On

broken sprinkler head geysers [email protected] Lawns 4 27-08-2005 01:29 AM
Replacement Weed-Wacker Head: "Grass Gator Load n' Cut" fixed 4 line head - Any Good ? Robert11 Lawns 1 05-07-2005 10:35 AM
sprinkler head problem RB Lawns 0 05-05-2005 01:48 AM
Hunter Sprinkler head repair?? Alex J Lawns 2 19-11-2003 02:02 PM
Best sprinkler head? Dan Ahearn Lawns 1 24-05-2003 08:21 PM