Old 25-06-2007, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CWatters CWatters is offline

Default Possible emergency? White stuff

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Silver birches have a friendly fungus that grows on the roots, it's
totally harmless indeed |I think the tree actually benefits from it.
can't remember the name though,

Should be not problem at all.

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

I heard a program on radio 4 last week or so where a scientist was
explaining that almost all plants rely on a friendly fungus (I think he used
a different term). I recall he mentioned that the best example being
Bluebells that can't get enough process phosphorus without it.