Old 26-06-2007, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
KarenCannoli KarenCannoli is offline

Default How and When to Harvest Lettuces

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in message

KarenCannoli wrote:
Hi,
I think the subject says it best. I have a variety
of leafy lettuces and I would like to know when
they are ready to pick, how and from where to
pick, and what is the best way to encourage
new leaves (and if it's possible.)
Thanks

If they are the non-hearting type (cos, oak leaf etc) just pick the leaves you need
from the outside of the plant. You can encourage faster growth in any leaf vegetable
by feeding them high nitrogen fertilizer in liquid form.

Thanks, this is very helpful.