Old 25-06-2007, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How and When to Harvest Lettuces

Hi,
I think the subject says it best. I have a variety
of leafy lettuces and I would like to know when
they are ready to pick, how and from where to
pick, and what is the best way to encourage
new leaves (and if it's possible.)
Thanks

Old 25-06-2007, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

KarenCannoli wrote:
Hi,
I think the subject says it best. I have a variety
of leafy lettuces and I would like to know when
they are ready to pick, how and from where to
pick, and what is the best way to encourage
new leaves (and if it's possible.)
Thanks

If they are the non-hearting type (cos, oak leaf etc) just pick the leaves
you need from the outside of the plant. You can encourage faster growth in
any leaf vegetable by feeding them high nitrogen fertilizer in liquid form.

Old 26-06-2007, 01:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"GreenieLeBrun" wrote in message

KarenCannoli wrote:
Hi,
I think the subject says it best. I have a variety
of leafy lettuces and I would like to know when
they are ready to pick, how and from where to
pick, and what is the best way to encourage
new leaves (and if it's possible.)
Thanks

If they are the non-hearting type (cos, oak leaf etc) just pick the leaves you need
from the outside of the plant. You can encourage faster growth in any leaf vegetable
by feeding them high nitrogen fertilizer in liquid form.

Thanks, this is very helpful.

Old 26-06-2007, 04:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

KarenCannoli wrote:
Hi,
I think the subject says it best. I have a variety
of leafy lettuces and I would like to know when
they are ready to pick, how and from where to
pick, and what is the best way to encourage
new leaves (and if it's possible.)
Thanks

If they are the non-hearting type (cos, oak leaf etc) just pick the leaves you need
from the outside of the plant. You can encourage faster growth in any leaf vegetable
by feeding them high nitrogen fertilizer in liquid form.

Thanks, this is very helpful.

Outside leaves may be a little tougher than ones that are shielded
from the elements. I suggest you try a batch of both and see if maybe
you want to leave the outside and pick the largest inside leaves that
are more tender.

Same goes for squash okra onions potatoes and many more (not tomatos)
Pick the smaller produce and get twice the flavor.

Old 26-06-2007, 06:28 AM
Registered User

Location: Otley ,West Yorks

The leaves want to be at least as big as your hand before picking and I would not pull more than a quarter or less of the leaves off any plant or it may weaken it too much. Twist them off carefully so that the roots are not disturbed too.

Old 27-06-2007, 09:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"KarenCannoli" wrote:

Hi,
I think the subject says it best. I have a variety
of leafy lettuces and I would like to know when
they are ready to pick, how and from where to
pick, and what is the best way to encourage
new leaves (and if it's possible.)
Thanks

Pick the outside leaves as needed. Leave the inner
leaves to grow up and become outside leaves. Keep
harvesting from the outside of the plant as it
grows.

They're ready to pick when they look big enough
to put in a salad. Your specifications will vary,
depending on how hungry you are. (Mine always do.)

Keep planting a few more lettuce seeds every week
or two, so when the old plants are done, you'll
have young plants coming along.

Jan
Old 27-06-2007, 11:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

They're ready to pick when they look big enough
to put in a salad. Your specifications will vary,
depending on how hungry you are. (Mine always do.)

Yes, and don't put it off too long.

They tend to get more bitter as the season goes on (especially once
they start wanting to go to seed).

Do cut lettuces keep on growing? MM United Kingdom 13 08-04-2005 05:11 PM
lettuces Jack1000 Edible Gardening 2 15-07-2004 12:02 AM
lettuces Jack1000 Edible Gardening 2 09-07-2004 09:02 PM
Lettuces and Spinach Greens-Collards North Carolina 0 20-05-2004 04:03 AM
Lettuces UNder Fleece LouP United Kingdom 8 02-07-2003 10:57 AM