Old 25-06-2007, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default Can I make my own bark chips?

HI Maureen

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007 20:51:00 GMT, "Maureen Patterson"
wrote:

I live in a flat and there's a huge tree in the back garden which we all
want to get rid of.

We also want to make one side of the communal back garden a bit nicer as
it's an overgrown mess at the moment and we're talking about putting down
plastic sheeting to suppress the weeds then some bark chips and finally
tables, seating, maybe a BBQ etc

If I can find someone to take down the tree safely is there any reason why I
couldn't just hire a chipper and use the tree to make the bark chips we
need? If so, can I chip the whole tree and use it or just the bark? Sorry
if this is a dumb question!

Probably your best bet is to find a company that will fell the tree
_and_ do the chipping for you.

A professional chipping machine will handle branches up to four - six
inches diameter - but it's a dangerous thing and operators need to be
properly trained and using the correct safety gear.

Don't know what sort of tree it is - but you will probably find
somebody local who will be pleased to take any larger logs off your
hands for firewood.

You will end up with a large heap of chippings - some from bark and
some from the wood in the branches. We had a dozen or so Spruces taken
out earlier in the year - and everything that was too small for logs
went through the tree surgeon's giant chipper. We've used the
chippings successfully for paths & ground cover.

Hope this helps
Adrian