View Single Post
  #1   Report Post  
Old 31-03-2003, 01:32 AM
Ninja Daisy

Default What makes a "Jersey Tomato" ??

Howdy folks -

I grew up in South Jersey, and have spent my adult years living not too far away (in the Phila. Suburbs). Today, a friend who also grew up in this area called me. She recently bought a house near San Francisco - complete with a big, sunny back yard for gar
dening - and she told me that she wants to grow tomatoes like the "Jersey Tomatoes" that are sold in the NJ/PA/DE region during the summer. She's lived on the west coast for over 4 years now, but insists that she has yet to taste a good tomato there - and
that includes fresh-from-the-garden ones grown by friends or purchased at farmers' markets.

Does anyone know what makes a "Jersey Tomato," and is there anything that my friend can do to replicate them in her west coast backyard? Is it a specific variety (Beefsteak? Big Boy?), or should she try conditioning her soil in a particular way? Or - do yo
u think that there's an un-duplicable something about the mid-atlantic climate that gives the tomatoes their flavor? I looked through some previous posts in the group, and saw a few posts about companion planting - maybe that will help.

Also - if you live in the Bay area and have grown yourself some tasty tomatoes, please share what varieties you've found to be the tastiest. Any other technical or logistical advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance! - Ali

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Platinum - Watch CBS' NCAA March Madness, live on your desktop!