Old 27-06-2007, 09:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default How and When to Harvest Lettuces

In article ,
"KarenCannoli" wrote:

Hi,
I think the subject says it best. I have a variety
of leafy lettuces and I would like to know when
they are ready to pick, how and from where to
pick, and what is the best way to encourage
new leaves (and if it's possible.)
Thanks

Pick the outside leaves as needed. Leave the inner
leaves to grow up and become outside leaves. Keep
harvesting from the outside of the plant as it
grows.

They're ready to pick when they look big enough
to put in a salad. Your specifications will vary,
depending on how hungry you are. (Mine always do.)

Keep planting a few more lettuce seeds every week
or two, so when the old plants are done, you'll
have young plants coming along.

Jan