Old 27-06-2007, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback Broadback is offline

Default Can I make my own bark chips?

pied piper wrote:

"Maureen Patterson" wrote in message
I live in a flat and there's a huge tree in the back garden which we
all want to get rid of.

We also want to make one side of the communal back garden a bit nicer
as it's an overgrown mess at the moment and we're talking about
putting down plastic sheeting to suppress the weeds then some bark
chips and finally tables, seating, maybe a BBQ etc

If I can find someone to take down the tree safely is there any reason
why I couldn't just hire a chipper and use the tree to make the bark
chips we need? If so, can I chip the whole tree and use it or just
the bark? Sorry if this is a dumb question!

And another tree dies of shame:

I had a mature tree die recently, the cost of having it felled and
removed, including stumps, was very reasonable. When I said I would like
the chippings I got a £50 discount!