Old 28-06-2007, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default Mosquito Magnet

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 22:05:51 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

Persephone wrote in message
On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:31:19 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

No thoughts on the product, but what other measures did you use to
reduce
the problem before buying the product?

Other than fish in the pond and Dunks in the rain barrel, there is not
much I can do other than spray Malathion all over the place. This is
not
an option as our sheep and goat graze the same area.

We are surrounded by woods and have a couple of acres around the house
cleared and grassy and a mile or so of trails through the woods and
shrubbery.

I would be more than happy to settle for the mosquito-free acre claimed
for the machine.

The biggest problem seems to be the grass. I don't know where they come
from but they seem to hang out in the grass until disturbed and then
swarm
around anyone or thing walking through the grass.

A sheep grazing our lawn looks like B.O. Plenty surrounded by a cloud of
mosquitoes. After a few minutes then run back to their shed to get away
from them. It is truly pathetic.

js

This may sound like a minor thing, but it helps, based on my experience
fishing in some of the most bug infested places in upstate NY: Lose all
your
unnecessary scents:

- Baby shampoo is unscented
- Switch to unscented laundry detergent
- Switch to unscented deodorant, etc.....

You can't always eliminate the source of mosquitoes, but you can make
yourself less of a buffet.

Had much luck locating unscented products?

No problem at all, without going near any of the silly boutique hippy
products.

- Baby shampoo - if you can't find this, you're lying or blind.
- Deodorant: Dry Idea unscented gel.
- Laundry soap: Plenty.

Guess you didn't see my "cri de coeur" about NOT being able to find
laundry soap unscented in supermarkets and even small nabe stores.

P.
- Dish soap: Regular dawn, not the stupid lemon/lavender crap that's popular
with god knows who.