Old 27-06-2007, 04:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mosquito Magnet

We just bought a Mosquito Magnet out of desperation. Sounds too good to
be true but we had to do something.

Does anyone out there have any experience with these?

A search on line is very unrewarding. All the reviews I could find are
glowing anecdotal ones and the serious ones all seem to say they could
not be independently verified.... the sort of stuff that would keep me
from purchasing normally.

It certainly is attracting mosquitoes and there are a lot in the bag but
filling it in a week just isn't going to happen.

Any thoughts?

js

Old 27-06-2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Jack Schmidling" wrote in message
We just bought a Mosquito Magnet out of desperation. Sounds too good to
be true but we had to do something.

Does anyone out there have any experience with these?

A search on line is very unrewarding. All the reviews I could find are
glowing anecdotal ones and the serious ones all seem to say they could not
be independently verified.... the sort of stuff that would keep me from
purchasing normally.

It certainly is attracting mosquitoes and there are a lot in the bag but
filling it in a week just isn't going to happen.

Any thoughts?

js

No thoughts on the product, but what other measures did you use to reduce
the problem before buying the product?

Old 27-06-2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

No thoughts on the product, but what other measures did you use to reduce
the problem before buying the product?

Other than fish in the pond and Dunks in the rain barrel, there is not
much I can do other than spray Malathion all over the place. This is
not an option as our sheep and goat graze the same area.

We are surrounded by woods and have a couple of acres around the house
cleared and grassy and a mile or so of trails through the woods and
shrubbery.

I would be more than happy to settle for the mosquito-free acre claimed
for the machine.

The biggest problem seems to be the grass. I don't know where they come
from but they seem to hang out in the grass until disturbed and then
swarm around anyone or thing walking through the grass.

A sheep grazing our lawn looks like B.O. Plenty surrounded by a cloud of
mosquitoes. After a few minutes then run back to their shed to get away
from them. It is truly pathetic.

js

Old 27-06-2007, 07:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

This may sound like a minor thing, but it helps, based on my experience
fishing in some of the most bug infested places in upstate NY: Lose all your
unnecessary scents:

- Baby shampoo is unscented
- Switch to unscented laundry detergent
- Switch to unscented deodorant, etc.....

You can't always eliminate the source of mosquitoes, but you can make
yourself less of a buffet.

Old 27-06-2007, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

Had much luck locating unscented products?

I'm not allergic, but I hate the cheap perfume they put in everything.
However, along the huge wall of laundry detergents, e.g. in
supermarkets, it's amazing if you can find ONE brand that
is unscented!!

I complained politely at a professional cleaning products shop
where I had hoped to find unscented. The employee said they
don't stock it because "most people want" scented.

The only brand that fairly consistently has unscented is
Arm & Hammer. Not the cheapest but what can you do?

(I'm not including the "green" products sold at co-ops and
health food stores. They are expensive and not that effective.)

P.

Old 27-06-2007, 10:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jack Schmidling wrote:

We just bought a Mosquito Magnet out of desperation. Sounds too good to
be true but we had to do something.

Does anyone out there have any experience with these?

A search on line is very unrewarding. All the reviews I could find are
glowing anecdotal ones and the serious ones all seem to say they could
not be independently verified.... the sort of stuff that would keep me
from purchasing normally.

It certainly is attracting mosquitoes and there are a lot in the bag but
filling it in a week just isn't going to happen.

Any thoughts?

js

They work. A neighbor has two of them on a couple of
acres around her house. The things seem like a dumb
idea, but they work anyway.

Jan in Alaska
where the mosquito is the state bird
Old 27-06-2007, 11:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

No problem at all, without going near any of the silly boutique hippy
products.

- Baby shampoo - if you can't find this, you're lying or blind.
- Deodorant: Dry Idea unscented gel.
- Laundry soap: Plenty.
- Dish soap: Regular dawn, not the stupid lemon/lavender crap that's popular
with god knows who.

Old 28-06-2007, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

They work. but here is the deal. you gotta set em up and get them
running in spring BEFORE mosquitoes start biting. the idea is the
magnet attracts the females and kills them. that ALSO kills all her
offspring on down the line. you MUST keep up on the maintenance,
including using a CO2 can to clear the jets. and replace the propane
tank on schedule. and just because you dont see many skeeters in the
bag doesnt mean it is time to slack off.

placement of the unit is important for good control. we found the
shaded side of a garage, under a tree to be ideal. cool, moist.

the dacha is above a swamp. mosquitoes were a horror for all my years
growing up. my mother had a wrap around porch with screens built so we
could at least sit outside and enjoy her gardens. when she gardened
she wore multiple layers of clothes, repellant and screen hat to ward
off the critters. we bought the MM only two years before she died,
but those two years were almost mosquito free for her gardening (and
picking raspberries!). Ingrid

Old 28-06-2007, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

Guess you didn't see my "cri de coeur" about NOT being able to find
laundry soap unscented in supermarkets and even small nabe stores.

P.

Old 28-06-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

[...]

Where do you live that you can't find unscented laundry soap?