Old 29-06-2007, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default squirrels and netting

Manelli Family wrote:

"George Shirley" wrote in message

Dianna Visek wrote:

Does netting really stop squirrels? It seems to me that they would
just chew thru it. I'm thinking of taking out my peach trees because
the squirrels like their peaches much greener than I do. They nibble
a bit, then drop the peach to the ground for the bunnies.

Regards, Dianna

Yes it does. This is the first year I've used the netting and we
harvested all the peaches ourselves for the first time. Get 3/4 inch
netting, anything smaller is a PITA and anything bigger the tree rats
can go through.

George

How do you get the netting over the tree? We have spare netting but the
pear tree is at least 20' tall. The squirrels destroy every single pear
every single year.

Most of my fruit trees are dwarf, all but the pear, a Kieffer, I keep it
pruned to 10 feet. Go to Google and search this newsgroup for my name
or for the subject. Two or three ways to do this are mentioned.

George