Old 27-06-2007, 04:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default squirrels and netting

Does netting really stop squirrels? It seems to me that they would
just chew thru it. I'm thinking of taking out my peach trees because
the squirrels like their peaches much greener than I do. They nibble
a bit, then drop the peach to the ground for the bunnies.

Regards, Dianna
Old 27-06-2007, 07:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Strong netting will not stop a squirrel, but will slow them down. They sense
that they
could become tangled in the netting and that sometimes deters them. The
squirrels
may be going after the peach core seeds, or the moisture in the peach if you are
having dry conditions. You might try providing some water, if that's the case.
As I mentioned in other posts, trapping is the only sure solution

Sherwin D.

Old 27-06-2007, 02:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dianna Visek wrote:

Does netting really stop squirrels? It seems to me that they would
just chew thru it. I'm thinking of taking out my peach trees because
the squirrels like their peaches much greener than I do. They nibble
a bit, then drop the peach to the ground for the bunnies.

Regards, Dianna

Yes it does. This is the first year I've used the netting and we
harvested all the peaches ourselves for the first time. Get 3/4 inch
netting, anything smaller is a PITA and anything bigger the tree rats
can go through.

George

Old 27-06-2007, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dianna Visek wrote in message
Does netting really stop squirrels? It seems to me
that they would just chew thru it. I'm thinking of
taking out my peach trees because the squirrels
like their peaches much greener than I do. They
nibble a bit, then drop the peach to the ground
for the bunnies.

The netting I've been using for the last few seasons has stopped
my fence rats and gray squirrels cold from harvesting my navel,
mandarin, and Satsuma oranges; it's also kept the Walkers away
from my nectarine and Hachiya. My neighbor uses it to keep the
vermin (rodent and human) away from his apple and lemon.

Netting is like an alarm system: Determined crooks'll get past it
but the object is to send them off to an easier target (like the
neighbor's.) Yes, a smart animal can chew through the net but more
likely they'll simply leave it alone for an easier target.

The Ranger

Old 29-06-2007, 02:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"George Shirley" wrote in message
Dianna Visek wrote:

Does netting really stop squirrels? It seems to me that they would
just chew thru it. I'm thinking of taking out my peach trees because
the squirrels like their peaches much greener than I do. They nibble
a bit, then drop the peach to the ground for the bunnies.

Regards, Dianna

Yes it does. This is the first year I've used the netting and we harvested
all the peaches ourselves for the first time. Get 3/4 inch netting,
anything smaller is a PITA and anything bigger the tree rats can go
through.

George

How do you get the netting over the tree? We have spare netting but the
pear tree is at least 20' tall. The squirrels destroy every single pear
every single year.

Old 29-06-2007, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dianna Visek wrote:

Does netting really stop squirrels? It seems to me that they would
just chew thru it. I'm thinking of taking out my peach trees because
the squirrels like their peaches much greener than I do. They nibble
a bit, then drop the peach to the ground for the bunnies.

Regards, Dianna

Yes it does. This is the first year I've used the netting and we
harvested all the peaches ourselves for the first time. Get 3/4 inch
netting, anything smaller is a PITA and anything bigger the tree rats
can go through.

George

How do you get the netting over the tree? We have spare netting but the
pear tree is at least 20' tall. The squirrels destroy every single pear
every single year.

Most of my fruit trees are dwarf, all but the pear, a Kieffer, I keep it
pruned to 10 feet. Go to Google and search this newsgroup for my name
or for the subject. Two or three ways to do this are mentioned.

George