Old 29-06-2007, 04:33 PM posted to rec.gardens
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Carpenter Bee Insect Pest Control Guide With Pictures

Paul Michaels wrote:
I helped my brother fight a carpenter bee infestation at his house in
North Florida and I took some pictures of our process. We did a lot of
research on how to control and eliminate the bees and I put up a short
guide online. Hopefully it will help some of you to control this
problem before any structural damage happens.

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/C...ide/index.html

Good luck and watch out for those aggressive male carpenter bees that
dive bomb your head.

Cheers,
Paul

Carpenter bees plus orchard bees are two of the few native pollinators
we have in North America. Honey bees are a European import. I make
carpenter bee nest blocks and hang them around the garden to lure them
into working over my plants. Plans and specifications are available on
the web.

Basically carpenter bees won't drill into painted wood in my experience.
As long as the house, shed, or other outbuilding trim, is painted and
maintained they leave them alone. With honey bee colony die offs the
native bees are a valuable contribution to gardeners. I don't recommend
killing them.

George