Old 30-06-2007, 12:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
JEFF DRESSNER JEFF DRESSNER is offline

Default Blue Heron

buy from lowes or home depot one of those 14" high plastic owls, fill it
with sand and place it at the foot of your pond. I did that with ours and i
have not had a blue heron in 3 years, and i live 3 blocks from the bay.
you may also want to build an inexpensive pergola around your pond area, and
drape netting on top of it allowing the netting to hang over the sides,
making it difficult for the heron to enter the pond. it works and keeps the
leaves out as well. i have about 1000 dollars worth of koi in my pond, and
they have not been attacked since the owl and the netting...good luck
"Goldlexus" wrote in message
We have had Koi and goldfish in our pond for 3 years and NEVER had a heron
come around here, until, today.
My goodness they are big birds! Anyway, he swooped in a got one of the
goldfish My daughter saw it and totally freaked out that a bird ate one
of our fish. My question is what is a good deterrent? Our setup is a 14
foot high pressure waterfall going down to a 1000 gallon pond. Would
putting a small fountain in the middle of the pond deter the heron. He has
been back since this afternoon but he knows where he can get a quick meal
now. I am sure he will be back. Need suggestions. BTW netting wouldn't be
a very good option since we don't have anyplace to secure it. Here is a
link to a videos of the pond...
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...ndVideowmv.flv I
think you can see why we can't really secure a net.