Old 28-06-2007, 02:14 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Default Blue Heron

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:25:11 CST, "Reel McKoi"
wrote:

I just want them to realize they may have more than herons to contend with.
They may buy one or more motion sprinklers just to find the fish are still
going missing - and why.

IMHO, you could have stated that without addressing me personally, or what
you perceive as flaws in my suggestions. That's where I'm coming from. I
was addressing the OP, who's daughter SAW the heron. And Kathy covered the
various other critters and solutions, also.

All I ask, is state your solutions, comments, etc. and leave my comments,
opinions, or guessing what I've seen or not see, out of it. I'd really
appreciate that. Otherwise I feel I'm being jab.

If you feel you need to add more than what the OP asked for, perhaps a
whole new thread would be to all our benefit? ~ jan
------------
Zone 7a, SE Washington State
Ponds: www.jjspond.us

Old 29-06-2007, 05:12 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

Well we opted for fishing line to protect or fish. So far so good. All fish
are still in the pond. We haven't even seen
the heron since Saturday. Hopefully, he found greener pastures. Thanks for
all the suggestions. If our fishing line fails us we will try a motion
sprinkler. Crossing our fingers

"Reel McKoi" wrote in message

"Goldlexus" wrote in message
We have had Koi and goldfish in our pond for 3 years and NEVER had a
heron come around here, until, today.
My goodness they are big birds! Anyway, he swooped in a got one of the
goldfish My daughter saw it and totally freaked out that a bird ate
one of our fish. My question is what is a good deterrent? Our setup is a
14 foot high pressure waterfall going down to a 1000 gallon pond. Would
putting a small fountain in the middle of the pond deter the heron. He
has been back since this afternoon but he knows where he can get a quick
meal now. I am sure he will be back. Need suggestions. BTW netting
wouldn't be a very good option since we don't have anyplace to secure it.
Here is a link to a videos of the pond...
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...ndVideowmv.flv I
think you can see why we can't really secure a net.

===========================
My connection is too slow to watch videos but we had a similar problem.
We made some changes and netted the ponds and the large grow-out and
goldfish tanks behind the house. We not only had herons but kingfishers,
snapper turtles, water snakes and bullfrogs cleaning out our ponds. Jan
claims success with those motion activated water sprinklers. Other people
mention fishing line around the pond. These things may work for herons
but are not much use against the others.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.

Old 30-06-2007, 12:52 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated

buy from lowes or home depot one of those 14" high plastic owls, fill it
with sand and place it at the foot of your pond. I did that with ours and i
have not had a blue heron in 3 years, and i live 3 blocks from the bay.
you may also want to build an inexpensive pergola around your pond area, and
drape netting on top of it allowing the netting to hang over the sides,
making it difficult for the heron to enter the pond. it works and keeps the
leaves out as well. i have about 1000 dollars worth of koi in my pond, and
they have not been attacked since the owl and the netting...good luck
"Goldlexus" wrote in message
We have had Koi and goldfish in our pond for 3 years and NEVER had a heron
come around here, until, today.
My goodness they are big birds! Anyway, he swooped in a got one of the
goldfish My daughter saw it and totally freaked out that a bird ate one
of our fish. My question is what is a good deterrent? Our setup is a 14
foot high pressure waterfall going down to a 1000 gallon pond. Would
putting a small fountain in the middle of the pond deter the heron. He has
been back since this afternoon but he knows where he can get a quick meal
now. I am sure he will be back. Need suggestions. BTW netting wouldn't be
a very good option since we don't have anyplace to secure it. Here is a
link to a videos of the pond...
http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y26...ndVideowmv.flv I
think you can see why we can't really secure a net.

Rate This Thread:

[IMG] code is On

Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 9 13-09-2004 02:33 PM
Great Blue Heron Carolyn Ponds 0 11-09-2004 01:45 PM
Help! Blue Heron eating all of my fish! Lisa Ponds 21 18-07-2004 06:02 AM
Help! Blue Heron eating all of my fish! Lisa Ponds 2 01-07-2004 07:02 PM
Help! Blue Heron eating all of my fish! Andrew Burgess Ponds 0 27-06-2004 09:07 PM