Old 01-07-2007, 06:19 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default Question about Chives and Cilantro

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 18:40:44 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article ,
Pennyaline wrote:

KOS wrote:
Hello
I have some chives growing and cilantro.
My question, the chives has been flowering, what is the best way to
maintain these? Should I cut back the flowers? The same question for
my cilantro.

Thanks!!
KOS

Cut the chives and eat hearty! You can eat the flowers too, if you want to.

If your cilantro has flowered it is too late for the plant. Flowering
means the plant has bolted and the leaves are useless. Before you
noticed flowers on the cilantro, did it develop a long central stem and
very very ferny leaves? Yep, it's bolted. All is not lost, though. Watch
the blooms closely. When the flowers drop green seed pods will form.
When the pods begin to turn brown, cut the seed clusters off into a
paper bag and allow them to fully mature and drop off the clusters. You
will then have coriander.

If you have enough flowers and leaves, you can make a cilantro pesto.
just substitute the cilantro for the basil. Unglaublich, formidable,
increible, really freakin' good.

Dang you cilantro lovers! I have that mild cilantro allergy thingie
that makes it taste really bad to me....and it ****es me off!

Once in while I find a pico that I can tolerate, if the cilantro is
minimal.

Italian flat-leaf is good, and I substitute it for cilantro.

Charlie

Ya know Charlie, the first time I tasted cilantro, I didn't like it.
Don't know why, just didn't like it. Now I can't get enough. Try it a
few times and, if you don't like it, screw it. Chaqu'un a son gout.
--
Billy