Old 30-06-2007, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens
KOS KOS is offline

Default Question about Chives and Cilantro

Hello
I have some chives growing and cilantro.
My question, the chives has been flowering, what is the best way to
maintain these? Should I cut back the flowers? The same question for
my cilantro.

Thanks!!
KOS

Old 01-07-2007, 01:09 AM posted to rec.gardens

KOS wrote:
Hello
I have some chives growing and cilantro.
My question, the chives has been flowering, what is the best way to
maintain these? Should I cut back the flowers? The same question for
my cilantro.

Thanks!!
KOS

Cut the chives and eat hearty! You can eat the flowers too, if you want to.

If your cilantro has flowered it is too late for the plant. Flowering
means the plant has bolted and the leaves are useless. Before you
noticed flowers on the cilantro, did it develop a long central stem and
very very ferny leaves? Yep, it's bolted. All is not lost, though. Watch
the blooms closely. When the flowers drop green seed pods will form.
When the pods begin to turn brown, cut the seed clusters off into a
paper bag and allow them to fully mature and drop off the clusters. You
will then have coriander.

Old 01-07-2007, 02:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Pennyaline wrote:

KOS wrote:
[...]

If you have enough flowers and leaves, you can make a cilantro pesto.
just substitute the cilantro for the basil. Unglaublich, formidable,
increible, really freakin' good.
--
Billy
Old 01-07-2007, 05:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote:
Dang you cilantro lovers! I have that mild cilantro allergy thingie
that makes it taste really bad to me....and it ****es me off!

Once in while I find a pico that I can tolerate, if the cilantro is
minimal.

Italian flat-leaf is good, and I substitute it for cilantro.

Can't abide cilantro myself, but I do grow it and let it bolt
intentionally just to get the coriander at the end of the rainbow. It's
the only thing cilantro is good for.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 18:40:44 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article ,
Pennyaline wrote:

KOS wrote:
[...]

Charlie

Ya know Charlie, the first time I tasted cilantro, I didn't like it.
Don't know why, just didn't like it. Now I can't get enough. Try it a
few times and, if you don't like it, screw it. Chaqu'un a son gout.
--
Billy

Old 01-07-2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"KOS" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello
I have some chives growing and cilantro.
My question, the chives has been flowering, what is the best way to
maintain these? Should I cut back the flowers? The same question for
my cilantro.

Thanks!!
KOS

Like other flowers, the chive flowers will look old pretty soon, and you may
have too many of them to clip off one at a time. So, chop down half the
plant, including the flowerless parts that you eat. Or, chop the whole thing
if you don't think you'll need any chives for a few days. You'll get fresh
growth in a matter of days, but no flowers again until next year.

[IMG] code is On

Tomatoes and Cilantro Moe Jones Lawns 0 17-04-2008 04:31 PM
Watercrest and Cilantro Ron, KC4YOY Ponds 24 09-06-2004 03:12 PM
chives/garlic question? jamie Texas 2 20-04-2004 04:07 AM
heat resistant parsley, dill, and cilantro cell phone repair Gardening 0 26-10-2003 04:42 AM
basil and cilantro Rona Yuthasastrakosol Edible Gardening 25 24-07-2003 06:02 AM