Old 01-07-2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Question about Chives and Cilantro

"KOS" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello
I have some chives growing and cilantro.
My question, the chives has been flowering, what is the best way to
maintain these? Should I cut back the flowers? The same question for
my cilantro.

Thanks!!
KOS

Like other flowers, the chive flowers will look old pretty soon, and you may
have too many of them to clip off one at a time. So, chop down half the
plant, including the flowerless parts that you eat. Or, chop the whole thing
if you don't think you'll need any chives for a few days. You'll get fresh
growth in a matter of days, but no flowers again until next year.