Old 31-03-2003, 08:56 AM

Default favourite conservatory plants????

"Jill" wrote in message
: Hi
: My mum has a good sized conservatory 12 ft by 12 ft at least
: We are on the west coast of Scotland - looking over the sea
: but the room is almost part of the house
: The bottom 3 foot is double block work and it is double glazed and the
door
: from the well heated house is always open
: I know absolutely nothing about indoor plants these day
: our house next door has 3 ft thick stone walls and they all face north or
: east so I don't bother
: She has tried some of the "normal" greenery house plants but they seem to
go
: very "washed" out
: It may be care but it seems more that the light is just too strong and
they
: reduce the amount of chlorophyll to compensate
: Amaryllis love it - there are over 50 in there - almost boring!!!
: and the few orchids she has like it too
: Its her birthday soon and she would love some of the more glam plants
: Bougainvillea comes to mind but what are your favourites ?
: and how is the best way to care for indoor plants
: I am fine with the outdoor - get hit by all and sundry plants
: but not used to dealing with " ideal" conditions up here :~))
: all help would be gratefully received
: Don't want to spend a fortune to be wasted but would love to do something
: nice for her
:
: --
: Jill Bowis
:
: http://www.poultryscotland.co.uk http://www.henhouses.co.uk
: http://www.domesticducks.co.uk http://www.poultry-books.co.uk
: http://www.kintaline.co.uk/cottage
:
I don't have a conservatory but how about clivia, or some of the gingers?