Old 01-07-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Manelli Family[_3_] Manelli Family[_3_] is offline

Default Phals at Lowe's

"Kingfish" wrote in message
The very best cattleya I have came from HD. I paid $ 49, but I would have
paid $ 100 or more at an orchid greenhouse as it is a very mature plant.
Blooms beautifully. I regularly buy the bagged orchids at Lowe's, but I
won't touch the phalaenopsis usually. For the life of me, I can't figure
out why these silly stores spend thousands of dollars on plants only to
let them die. They do it with just about everything.

They don't sell large catts where I live. Only the young plants in the mesh
bags. When a plant dies it's really no loss to them. They just write it
off. The markup on the plants that don't die makes up any difference. Have
you seen the deplorable conditions they keep the cactus and succulents in?
Horrible. Plus they're either under or overwatered. I have a nice
collection of cacti and succulents but only buy them when they first get
them in.