Old 29-06-2007, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Phals at Lowe's

I went to Lowe's today to buy a shade cloth for my greenhouse and low and
behold....... phals maked down to $4.88. I took two. :^)

Old 29-06-2007, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Our local HD discounts their out of bloom 'chids. Sometimes you can find a
nice deal. Not too long back we picked up a Phal. amabilis for $6.

Diana

Old 29-06-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 15:17:34 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
Our local HD discounts their out of bloom 'chids. Sometimes you can find a
nice deal. Not too long back we picked up a Phal. amabilis for $6.

Our local home depot is so incompetent with plants that they can manage
to kill rosemary and thyme.
If you don't look through their orhids the same day they are delivered,
you're likely to find a pot of slime or a crispy critter.

I actually managed to quench the orchid purchases while waiting for
my wife's house to sell (Okay, we did intend to drop by a local grower on
father's day, but he keeps very short hours on Sundays).

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up
Old 29-06-2007, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The local Lowes will mark them down to $1. Some will even be in nice pots.
I've probably brought home a dozen rescues and only lost a few.

Old 29-06-2007, 10:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Our local HD discounts their out of bloom 'chids. Sometimes you can find a
nice deal. Not too long back we picked up a Phal. amabilis for $6.

Yes, you have to watch for deals on those out of bloom. I found some nice
dendrobiums at the HD store marked down half price after the holidays.
They're thriving! Nice size healthy plants.

Old 29-06-2007, 10:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

g...
wrote:
Our local HD discounts their out of bloom 'chids. Sometimes you can find
nice deal. Not too long back we picked up a Phal. amabilis for $6.

Our local home depot is so incompetent with plants that they can manage
to kill rosemary and thyme.
If you don't look through their orhids the same day they are delivered,
you're likely to find a pot of slime or a crispy critter.

This is a problem with their small bagged catts. If I don't get there
within a week or two they're crispy critters. :-( They keep their orchids
right where they get blasted with cool dry air when someone enters the
greenhouse. They dry out and no one waters them.

I actually managed to quench the orchid purchases while waiting for
my wife's house to sell (Okay, we did intend to drop by a local grower on
father's day, but he keeps very short hours on Sundays).

We all need a 10 step program............

Old 29-06-2007, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Mark_OK" wrote in message
t...
The local Lowes will mark them down to $1. Some will even be in nice pots.
I've probably brought home a dozen rescues and only lost a few.

I've never seen them marked down that far. Lucky you! :-))) The were the
$19.00 size. Out of bloom they're usually half price so I was really
surprised to see them at $4.88. One was in a beautiful pale green ceramic
pot and the other in a regular clay pot.

They also had some rose impatiens marked down to .99 so I took two of them
for the porch.

Old 30-06-2007, 03:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The very best cattleya I have came from HD. I paid $ 49, but I would have
paid $ 100 or more at an orchid greenhouse as it is a very mature plant.
Blooms beautifully. I regularly buy the bagged orchids at Lowe's, but I
won't touch the phalaenopsis usually. For the life of me, I can't figure out
why these silly stores spend thousands of dollars on plants only to let them
die. They do it with just about everything.

Old 30-06-2007, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 16:30:07 -0500 in Manelli Family wrote:

g...
wrote:
[...]

Well having the evil bitch kitten decide that the catts, vandas, tolumnia,
isochillus, and oerstdella are damn tasty and not having a good means
to seperate the kitten from the orchids put a severe damper on new purchases
as well...
For those of you considering adopting a stray kitten, I highly
recommend deer netting to keep the feral eating machine away from
the plants.

Old 30-06-2007, 07:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

For the life of me, I can't figure out why these silly stores spend
thousands of dollars on plants only to let them die. They do it with just
about everything.

I guess stores vary within the chains as to how they stock plants. I do know
that some of them take orchids more or less on consignment; they only pay
for the plant when it sells. They have an electronic system for keeping both
store and grower honest. In those cases there is less incentive to take good
care of the plants. There are 3 HDs within easy driving distance of us, and
the quality of the plants varies rather a lot. The closest is also the
newest; that's where we occasionally have found some real bargains. We
bought some Vandas there about a year and a half ago-$10 each, complete with
proper tags. When they bloomed out it was clear that the tags were correct,
too, since they were hybrids that I know.

Diana

Old 01-07-2007, 05:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"?" wrote in message
g...

Well having the evil bitch kitten decide that the catts, vandas, tolumnia,
isochillus, and oerstdella are damn tasty and not having a good means
to seperate the kitten from the orchids put a severe damper on new
purchases
as well...
For those of you considering adopting a stray kitten, I highly
recommend deer netting to keep the feral eating machine away from
the plants.

Or do as a friend of mine did. She had a screen door put on the room where
her orchids were kept. This kept all her cats from damaging the plants.
Screen doors are not very expensive and are easily hung but the screen must
be covered with at least 19g hardware cloth.

The other option is to find a home for the cat.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Kingfish" wrote in message
The very best cattleya I have came from HD. I paid $ 49, but I would have
paid $ 100 or more at an orchid greenhouse as it is a very mature plant.
Blooms beautifully. I regularly buy the bagged orchids at Lowe's, but I
won't touch the phalaenopsis usually. For the life of me, I can't figure
out why these silly stores spend thousands of dollars on plants only to
let them die. They do it with just about everything.

They don't sell large catts where I live. Only the young plants in the mesh
bags. When a plant dies it's really no loss to them. They just write it
off. The markup on the plants that don't die makes up any difference. Have
you seen the deplorable conditions they keep the cactus and succulents in?
Horrible. Plus they're either under or overwatered. I have a nice
collection of cacti and succulents but only buy them when they first get
them in.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 11:23:12 -0500 in Manelli Family wrote:

"?" wrote in message
g...

Well having the evil bitch kitten decide that the catts, vandas, tolumnia,
isochillus, and oerstdella are damn tasty and not having a good means
to seperate the kitten from the orchids put a severe damper on new
purchases
as well...
For those of you considering adopting a stray kitten, I highly
recommend deer netting to keep the feral eating machine away from
the plants.

Or do as a friend of mine did. She had a screen door put on the room where
her orchids were kept. This kept all her cats from damaging the plants.
Screen doors are not very expensive and are easily hung but the screen must
be covered with at least 19g hardware cloth.

The other option is to find a home for the cat.

Not much luck in anyone that we know taking the evil ball of white
fur. We made the mistake of telling them about her personality.
Getting rid of Miss Seagate is optimal as Maxtor likes sniffing
orchid blooms.

And I did consider a screen door, unfortunately the orchids are in
a nook with a 4.5' wide entrance.

Old 02-07-2007, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

g...
Family wrote:

Getting rid of Miss Seagate is optimal as Maxtor likes sniffing
orchid blooms.

You are definitely the resident computer geek :-)
-danny