Old 03-07-2007, 08:53 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Jan Flora Jan Flora is offline

Default It finally came!

In article ,
"Manelli Family" wrote:

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
ink.net...
The plants/seeds shall have to wait til mom and I get the greenhouse
built.

This climate it's pretty necessary. But once the greenhouse(s) is/are
built,

Which greenhouse are you getting? We have the 6X8' Harbor Freight GH and a
8.6 X 16.6 Rion. We're completing the benches for the Rion now.

If you guys have any building skills at all, you can build your
own greenhouses. We built an 8'x10'the other day. It didn't cost
us anything, because the neighbor gave us a couple of sheets of
that fiberglass sheeting that got torn on one edge (she works at the
local lumberyard). We milled all of the lumber on our sawmill. I found
all of the hardware at the dump. (Nails, screws, little joist hangers.
They were in a nice, wooden fishbox that my salad garden is growing in,
as I type, next to my front door.)

My laying hens are still using my other greenhouse. That one is
10'x16'. A hen went broody last month, so I decided to NOT move
everyone out, while Broody was setting. Now that the chicks are
a couple of weeks old, I may build them an official henhouse and
take my old greenhouse back.

We built the new greenhouse because my tomato plants were taking
over my kitchen. I told the SO that either he had to go, or the
'mater plants had to go. A few minutes later, I heard the table saw
fire up -- he was cutting the frame for a new greenhouse : )

PS: We've used reinforced poly for the "skin" on greenhouses with great
success here. We get v. high winds and a big snow load. The reinforced
stuff will last for ~3 years here. It's expensive. It's worth it.

Jan