Old 27-06-2007, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default It finally came!

My Seed Savers catalog that is. Me and a friend(who demanded I let her look
at it and request one for her too) and my mother kinda drooled on it, and
said friend wants to eventually start a seed-saving community thing in this
area. First purchase from the catalog for me will be that Seed to Seed book.
The plants/seeds shall have to wait til mom and I get the greenhouse built.
This climate it's pretty necessary. But once the greenhouse(s) is/are built,
I am SO ordering tons of stuff(from quite a few nurseries). Especially since
we're gonna be taking care of our overabundance of roosters soon, then put
the hens back in the coop, and the geese in the dog pen(it's got a house
they can use in bad weather), and a kiddie pool for them to play in, and
catch all the bunnies and sell 'em. Then I don't have to worry about my
plants getting eaten by them. Still our dogs and the wild animals too worry
about, like the deer, but I'll cope. :-)

Old 28-06-2007, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Charlie wrote in message

A friend an I worked for BN many, many years ago in the Columbia River
Gorge, between Stevenson and Wishram, on the WA side.

Every weekend we would go on a trip and head south along the coastal
highway. We always intended to make it to Crater Lake, but were always
sidetracked by one thing or another and never did make it any farther
than Eugene. Met a lot of wonderful folks in the Cascades, many back
to the landers and an assorted bunch of misfits from the sixties and
early seventies.

Guess the point of this is just to tell you, that when I think of what
I always wanted, but never achieved, it lies within your state.
Beautiful country and great people. One of the high points of my life.

Always wanted to make it down to northern CA (lots of you Oregonians,
at the time, called CA residents.....californicators.... easy Billy),
but hell, we always got lost or ran out of steam by then.

Keep on Caring and Thanks for the Memories
Charlie

haha well I've been Klamath County for 4 years now, and many years ago,
lived for 7 years at least in northern CA, and I wanna go back to Seattle! I
don't think I'll make it though, things keep happening here, good and
bad(good as in making money selling critters/produce/plants/crafts, bad as
in my mother's health is not doing so well). If we could just win the
lottery, we'd keep our property now, and I go back and forth to Seattle as I
please. Because I really do like our place, but it's like an hour from
anywhere decent...which means $20 roundtrip for gas. It adds up...at least
we don't have sales tax! I went back to Seattle for a week to visit family,
and I had totally forgotten there was such a thing as sales tax ;-)

Old 29-06-2007, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

Always wanted to make it down to northern CA (lots of you Oregonians,
at the time, called CA residents.....californicators.... easy Billy),
but hell, we always got lost or ran out of steam by then.

Keep on Caring and Thanks for the Memories
Charlie

Not to worry Charlie. I'm all in favor of fornication. Heck, if my
parents and been Californicators, it's hard to imagine where I'd be
today. Good for the cardio-vascular system too. Helps keep that spring
in your step;-)
--
Billy
Old 29-06-2007, 02:38 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
ink.net...
The plants/seeds shall have to wait til mom and I get the greenhouse
built.

This climate it's pretty necessary. But once the greenhouse(s) is/are
built,

Which greenhouse are you getting? We have the 6X8' Harbor Freight GH and a
8.6 X 16.6 Rion. We're completing the benches for the Rion now.

Old 29-06-2007, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

Which greenhouse are you getting? We have the 6X8' Harbor Freight GH and

8.6 X 16.6 Rion. We're completing the benches for the Rion now.

Oh we're building our own with materials gathered from here and there. Mom
wants to use glass windows but my research says regular glass windows don't
give the plants quite what they need, fiberglass windows are better, but I
want to use different stuff, it's like a thick white film, made specifically
for greenhouses, lets what the plants need in, keeps cold and other bad shit
out. I also want it a pit style greenhouse(my research also says those are
very efficient).

Old 29-06-2007, 05:49 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Thu, 28 Jun 2007 17:24:45 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

Always wanted to make it down to northern CA (lots of you Oregonians,
at the time, called CA residents.....californicators.... easy Billy),
but hell, we always got lost or ran out of steam by then.

Keep on Caring and Thanks for the Memories
Charlie

Not to worry Charlie. I'm all in favor of fornication. Heck, if my
parents and been Californicators, it's hard to imagine where I'd be
today. Good for the cardio-vascular system too. Helps keep that spring
in your step;-)

hmmm....so fornication is good for the soul. It is said confession is
good for the soul. So...... is confessing fornication good for the
soul?

We had sliced chioggia beets on the grill tonite, with a little EVO and
kosher salt.......nearly as good as ....... well you know.

Charlie

I truely doubt it.
--
Billy
Old 30-06-2007, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

hi All,
"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
nk.net...
"Manelli Family" wrote in message

Which greenhouse are you getting? We have the 6X8' Harbor Freight GH and

8.6 X 16.6 Rion. We're completing the benches for the Rion now.

Oh we're building our own with materials gathered from here and there. Mom
wants to use glass windows but my research says regular glass windows
don't
give the plants quite what they need, fiberglass windows are better, but I
want to use different stuff, it's like a thick white film, made
specifically
for greenhouses, lets what the plants need in, keeps cold and other bad
shit
out. I also want it a pit style greenhouse(my research also says those are
very efficient).

I have used regular window glass for plants for years with no trouble.
Unless your glass is different from U. K. glass you should have no trouble.
Hope this helps you.

Richard M. Watkin.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:53 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Manelli Family" wrote:

"Lilah Morgan" wrote in message
ink.net...
The plants/seeds shall have to wait til mom and I get the greenhouse
built.

This climate it's pretty necessary. But once the greenhouse(s) is/are
built,

Which greenhouse are you getting? We have the 6X8' Harbor Freight GH and a
8.6 X 16.6 Rion. We're completing the benches for the Rion now.

If you guys have any building skills at all, you can build your
own greenhouses. We built an 8'x10'the other day. It didn't cost
us anything, because the neighbor gave us a couple of sheets of
that fiberglass sheeting that got torn on one edge (she works at the
local lumberyard). We milled all of the lumber on our sawmill. I found
all of the hardware at the dump. (Nails, screws, little joist hangers.
They were in a nice, wooden fishbox that my salad garden is growing in,
as I type, next to my front door.)

My laying hens are still using my other greenhouse. That one is
10'x16'. A hen went broody last month, so I decided to NOT move
everyone out, while Broody was setting. Now that the chicks are
a couple of weeks old, I may build them an official henhouse and
take my old greenhouse back.

We built the new greenhouse because my tomato plants were taking
over my kitchen. I told the SO that either he had to go, or the
'mater plants had to go. A few minutes later, I heard the table saw
fire up -- he was cutting the frame for a new greenhouse : )

PS: We've used reinforced poly for the "skin" on greenhouses with great
success here. We get v. high winds and a big snow load. The reinforced
stuff will last for ~3 years here. It's expensive. It's worth it.

Jan