Old 04-07-2007, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens
zxcvbob zxcvbob is offline

Default Motion-activated deer repellants

Sheldon wrote:
On Jul 4, 10:52?am, zxcvbob wrote:
Dee wrote:
I am having a real problem with deer this year. They are grazing my
geraniums, asters, sedums and anemones down to stubs. Spraying with
various deer repellants has not deterred them as it has done in years past,
I suspect because of the severe drought.
Does anyone have experience with either a motion-activated hi-frequency
sound machine, such as YardGard Animal Repeller, or a motion-activated
sprinkler, such as the Scarecrow?
Here are links to the products I'm looking at --
YardGard Animal Repeller
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ALEW7Q/
Scarecrow
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000071NUS/
Thanks for any input,
Dee

Have you tried a motion-activated water sprinkler? They make quite a
ruckus and spray a stream of water.

The OP already mentioned the motion-activated sprinkler (Scarecrow).

Somehow I missed that. I read "a motion-activated hi-frequency
sound machine, such as YardGard Animal Repeller, or the Scarecrow?"

I have a Scarecrow, and it works great against rabbits. The deer seldom
make it this far into town, and when they do that have to cross a lot of
fences to get to my place.

The problem with sprinklers is that a pressurized water source is
needed nearby... for many situations that is impractical. Also those
things are very expensive and for most instances multiple units are
necessary. But the biggest downfall is they don't work in freezing
conditions and during winter is when deer do the most damage.

I've tried everything (liquid repellants are expensive, they're a
waste of money, and effort), nothing works like a fence. All my
flower beds, perennial gardens, vegetable garden, and small trees are
fenced. Wire fencing is inexpensive, inconspicuous, very long
lasting, easily installed and relocated as needed, and no special
tools or expertise is required... and there's no maintenance. I use
galvanized turkey wire with driven steel posts... for young trees
chicken wire is plenty adequate. I've found that a 4' height is
enough for relatively small areas such as foundation plantings (deer
won't jump into small enclosed spaces). For larger areas such as
vegetable gardens a 5' height works fine. Since using this type of
fencing for the past four years I've had not even one instance of deer
entering a fenced area.

I need to make chicken wire cages around the bases of some of my small
trees and bushes this fall. The rabbits or squirrels chewed a few down
to the ground last winter. Luckily they came back, but I lost a year of
growth.

Bob