Old 04-07-2007, 02:25 PM posted to aus.gardens
loosecanon loosecanon is offline

Default low maintenance bushes

"0tterbot" wrote in message
"Jonno" . wrote in message
u...
Loosecanon wrote:

Lavender would prefer full sun never a southly aspect

Depends on latitude.

i have english lavender naturalised at my place - if it decides to
reproduce (which it did all summer, like a mad thing!) it just does - and
in full shade, the wrong soil, the wrong aspect. etc. i think it's one of
those plants which has a reputation that is less flexible than the
reality. it's really very tough & flexible ime.
kylie

It all makes sense now. I can grow french and italian lavender like weeds
and english lavender just turns up it toes. I will remember the shady dank
english spot in the garden if I am ever tempted to plant it again.

The italian lavender gets to about 60 cm here and the french could push
80cm. Has anyone got these to the 1.8m (6ft) ie fence, as mentioned earlier
even as a standard?

Cheers

Richard