Old 05-07-2007, 06:16 AM posted to rec.gardens
Persephone Persephone is offline

Default Corn shading cucumber

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 18:17:50 -0700, "Ook" Ook Don't send me any
freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the Don't send me any freakin'
spam wrote:

Persephone wrote in message
m...

Sigh - I think I'm hoist on my own petard.

I planted cucumbers and corn together, thinking that
the cucumbers would twine around the corn stalks as they grew.

Instead -- and maybe because I planted too thickly -- the corn
is going gang busters, but is shading the cucumbers. Little cukes are
forming, but I am concerned about the perceived lack of sunshine.

So I have a BIG DECISION to make:

Do I move some of the corn to let more light in on the cukes?

Or do I move the cukes and figure out some other way of
training them up.

IOW, which is likely to be more upset by the transplanting?

You can't move the cukes,

My goodness, that is very "definite"!

Hellow, NG members -- Has anyone on this NG ever moved cukes?

Straight question.

and if the corn is big enough to shade them, you
can't move it either. AFAIK, you can't transplant either. I've done this
before, and the cukes just didn't make it without sun

Where are you?

I'm in So. Calif coastal, Zone 24/8.

Maybe the difference in locations has a bearing?

.. If you leave it all
alone, the corn will do fine and you will get few if any cukes. Only the
cukes that grow out of the south end of the corn patch will produce.

I just last week planted some short season corn. 59 day stuff, I figure it
will be ripe the first week of September, which is still good corn growing
season around here.

Where?

Depending on where you live, you might be able to remove
some of the corn so that they cukes get sun, and maybe plant some short
season corn somewhere else.

Awaiting your reply...

Persephone