Old 05-07-2007, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Compost question from a newbie

In article ,
steve auvache wrote:

My own philosophy is: if it was once a plant, is not going to be eaten
and has not been cooked then it goes in the compost. The exception to
this is any material that is obviously diseased.

Having said that and despite the fact it is cooked plant, I put paper in
mine too. In addition and for some reason I simply don't understand but
seems entirely logical to me I put my used tea bags in there as well.

I don't see any logic in not putting in cooked veg (and in any case the
quantity is never going to be large)

People say not to put in meat because it will attract rats - I think
that the bigger problem there is more the high proportion of fat meaning
it doesn't rot down in a nice clean fashion.

Like Dom I also put in chopped prunings - the chopping is merely a
convenience - short incompletely rotted pieces are easy to deal with,
long pieces make the compost difficult to dig out.

I also put in masses of paper and cardboard - the main ingredient in
winter. It looks revolting, but the stuff that comes out at the end is
perfectly good. Avoid envelopes with windows - the windows don't rot.

--
Kay