Old 01-07-2007, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Compost question from a newbie

I have never composted before, and have just received a compost bin from our
council, but I don't have a clue as to where to start, or what I can or can
not put in it.
Any help and advise would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 01-07-2007, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.enfo.ie/leaflets/as17.htm

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Cerumen" wrote in message

"Mary" wrote in message
I have never composted before, and have just received a compost bin from
our council, but I don't have a clue as to where to start, or what I can
or can not put in it.
Any help and advise would be appreciated.

http://www.enfo.ie/leaflets/as17.htm

--
Chris, West Cork, Ireland.

Mary, Chris has posted the link to a wonderful article, BUT, please note
that all instructions relate to you standing on your head when carrying them
out.

Kind regards

Mike

Reunion Bournemouth August/September 2007
www.rneba.org.uk

Old 01-07-2007, 11:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 09:10:06 +0100, "Cerumen"
wrote:

"Mary" wrote in message
I have never composted before, and have just received a compost bin from
our council, but I don't have a clue as to where to start, or what I can or
can not put in it.
Any help and advise would be appreciated.

http://www.enfo.ie/leaflets/as17.htm

NB - I would miss out the "animal manure" - there are of course
different types - I have never found cat-shit pleasant.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary" wrote in message
I have never composted before, and have just received a compost bin from
our council, but I don't have a clue as to where to start, or what I can or
can not put in it.

You can put any sort of vegetation in it, it's better if it can be mixed a
little, if you have a lot of grass, them make sure you put other stuff in
between layers of grass, paper helps to seperate layers of stuff.

Do not put meat or fish in it, this will only attract rats.

Alan

Old 02-07-2007, 12:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Alan Holmes" wrote in message

"Mary" wrote in message
I have never composted before, and have just received a compost bin

from
our council, but I don't have a clue as to where to start, or what I

can or
can not put in it.

You can put any sort of vegetation in it, it's better if it can be

mixed a
little, if you have a lot of grass, them make sure you put other stuff

in
between layers of grass, paper helps to seperate layers of stuff.

Do not put meat or fish in it, this will only attract rats.

Alan

I hope you will find this site useful. Hopefully it tells you all that
you need to know. http://tinyurl.com/32rjey

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mary" wrote in message
I have never composted before, and have just received a compost bin

from
our council, but I don't have a clue as to where to start, or what I

can or
can not put in it.

You can put any sort of vegetation in it, it's better if it can be

mixed a
little, if you have a lot of grass, them make sure you put other stuff

in
between layers of grass, paper helps to seperate layers of stuff.

Do not put meat or fish in it, this will only attract rats.

Alan

I hope you will find this site useful. Hopefully it tells you all that
you need to know. http://tinyurl.com/32rjey

I don't think I'll bother, have been composting my own muck for so long I
could probably write my own book about it!

Old 02-07-2007, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

The message
from "Alan Holmes" contains these words:

"Mary" wrote in message
I have never composted before, and have just received a compost bin

from
our council, but I don't have a clue as to where to start, or what I

can or
can not put in it.

You can put any sort of vegetation in it, it's better if it can be

mixed a
little, if you have a lot of grass, them make sure you put other stuff

in
between layers of grass, paper helps to seperate layers of stuff.

Do not put meat or fish in it, this will only attract rats.

Alan

I hope you will find this site useful. Hopefully it tells you all that
you need to know. http://tinyurl.com/32rjey

I don't think I'll bother, have been composting my own muck for so long I
could probably write my own book about it!

There is always a worm bin of course, for those interested.
Beryl
Old 03-07-2007, 07:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 1 Jul, 08:48, "Mary" wrote:
I have never composted before, and have just received a compost bin from our
council, but I don't have a clue as to where to start, or what I can or can
not put in it.
Any help and advise would be appreciated.
Thanks

Another link for you Mary, but a bit easier to read. The is also a
section about Wormeries when you are feeling a bit more ambitious.

http://www.the-gardeners-calendar.co...ap/default.asp

Old 03-07-2007, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thank you a for all the advice that you have posted.. it has been so very
helpful.

I am now looking forward to getting started... love the idea of the
wormery.. but I guess I need to walk before I run.
Thanks again

Old 05-07-2007, 08:32 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
steve auvache wrote:

In article , Mary
writes
I have never composted before, and have just received a compost bin from our
council,

All Hail your council. Well done them.

but I don't have a clue as to where to start, or what I can or can
not put in it.
Any help and advise would be appreciated.

My own philosophy is: if it was once a plant, is not going to be eaten
and has not been cooked then it goes in the compost. The exception to
this is any material that is obviously diseased.

Having said that and despite the fact it is cooked plant, I put paper in
mine too. In addition and for some reason I simply don't understand but
seems entirely logical to me I put my used tea bags in there as well.

My compost is fine, my veggies love it.

Steve's mix is the same as mine, I also put in eggshells (but not the
eggs raw OR cooked!), coffee grinds, and small pieces of wood, like rose
clippings, but chopped up into 1 inch (2.5cm) lengths .. Quite often
these don't decompose completely, but they seem to help the mixture be
more open, without them the mixture can get slimy and horrible.

Also, I'm impatient .. in spring when I plant my beans, I empty the
compost bin into the trench, whether it's ready or not .. Usually the
trench is 2 spade depths deep, with 1 spade depth of compost in the
bottom. It works for me, although I wouldn't do this with root crops,
just above surface stuff.

Hope that was of interest

Dom
Old 05-07-2007, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

In article ,
steve auvache wrote:

My own philosophy is: if it was once a plant, is not going to be eaten
and has not been cooked then it goes in the compost. The exception to
this is any material that is obviously diseased.

Having said that and despite the fact it is cooked plant, I put paper in
mine too. In addition and for some reason I simply don't understand but
seems entirely logical to me I put my used tea bags in there as well.

I don't see any logic in not putting in cooked veg (and in any case the
quantity is never going to be large)

People say not to put in meat because it will attract rats - I think
that the bigger problem there is more the high proportion of fat meaning
it doesn't rot down in a nice clean fashion.

Like Dom I also put in chopped prunings - the chopping is merely a
convenience - short incompletely rotted pieces are easy to deal with,
long pieces make the compost difficult to dig out.

I also put in masses of paper and cardboard - the main ingredient in
winter. It looks revolting, but the stuff that comes out at the end is
perfectly good. Avoid envelopes with windows - the windows don't rot.

--
Kay