Old 07-07-2007, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
steve auvache steve auvache is offline

Default drought,we must use water sensibly!

In article .com, La
Puce writes
On 5 Jul, 17:13, "Keith Kent" wrote:
It makes me chuckle ,look in the mags/media about using water sensibly,use
drought tolerant plants in borders/baskets ,store water, you know what i
mean.Us gardeners/public have had this rammed down us throats and now we
have had that much rain we have not got a clue what to do with it!

(snip reluctant fabulous rant)

I know i have had my rant but feel we really need to get back to black and
white so we all know where we stand,there is so much bullshit in this
country.

Thought of this last night. I tuck myself in with a new mag (for me at
least) Garden Illustrated. Every article are all about saving water
and drought tolerant plants. Now, apart from what you've said and said
it loud and clear and right, what we read must have been written two
years ago surely!! Frankly it's totally out of tune with what's
happening ...

It depends where you live. If you live in the part of the world where I
live it is an issue as we rely very heavily on rain which fell 6 months
ago and 100 miles away. If you live in Manchester it is 5 minutes and
where you are standing now.

In Essex, particularly in the south of the county, we simply cannot rely
on local rainfall to satisfy our gardening needs even during a wet year.
Either we take measures to capture and keep more of what we get or we
adopt growing regimes which include taking into account the drought
tolerance, or lack of, of our precious plants. There is no alternative,
nor has there even been.

Mind you we do have clear skies and sunshine in abundance which adds a
day or two to our growing season which is nice.

--
steve auvache
Sunny Essex