Old 05-07-2007, 05:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default drought,we must use water sensibly!

It makes me chuckle ,look in the mags/media about using water sensibly,use
drought tolerant plants in borders/baskets ,store water, you know what i
mean.Us gardeners/public have had this rammed down us throats and now we
have had that much rain we have not got a clue what to do with it!Problem
with this country/government is we don`t cut a problem out from the
source,we always lay the blame which results in charges that don,t
work.Ex-Too many cars on roads/global warming = high fuel costs.Why don`t
all countrys force car manufacturers to produce a cleaner car fuel and then
sell the fuel as cheap as possible.Water shortage(ha ha) = blame
public,increase water charge,tell everyone they should be doing there bit by
recycling water.Why don`t the water companys make more water storage
facilitys.UK has enough rainfall in a year for the whole of the country to
never be short of water,no matter how sunny and dry it is.We don`t store
enough it is that simple,it would also help if they fixed all the water
leaks everywere quickly.Theft = you may get your hands smacked or a fine or
nothing or as a last resort you may get sent down in luxury, but it is a
last resort as the prisons are full!! What about you WILL be sent down for 5
years with the basics.
I know i have had my rant but feel we really need to get back to black and
white so we all know where we stand,there is so much bullshit in this
country.
Cheers Keith

Old 05-07-2007, 05:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Keith Kent wrote:
[...]

Ah Keith, I hate to write it but you are simple! You see, what you must
appreciate is that all politicians (also, of course public servants)
have inflation proof pensions. These they must preserve, so taxes must
for ever be increasing, hence any problems must have money thrown at it,
so that tax increases are accepted by the simple! (That includes myself)
Old 05-07-2007, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Broadback" wrote in message
Keith Kent wrote:
[...]

We as a nation have got things badly wrong and i fear for our next
generation.They can raise money without hiding behind taxes.Bring back the
days when this country could offer something to other countrys in export.We
should have other countrys by the short and curlys ,not the other way
round.Carrier bags is another one,why pussy foot around ,just ban them.The
only thing i think we have got right is the smoking ban,wether a agree with
it or not it is black and white.Thank god they didn`t complicate the ban
with places that are exempt.
One more thing lets get back to in season, not perfect fruit and veg!!
keith

Old 05-07-2007, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day keith,

lots of folk can't see the "trees for the forest" or is it the "forest
for the trees"???? chuckle.

i go with 'broadback' a tad here "keith my friend it is all about
profits and raking extra charges out of us hapless citizens, all so
that pollies and their cohort corporate mates can line their pockets
well and truely "red".

car manufacturers make cars not fuel, and the system isn't interested
in making a new fuel whilst they can manipulate huge profits out of
the existing product. now if the general community showed more sense
we would work together and buy the smallest cars we can with the
smallest motors and hence use less of their golden product, but alas
and alack as over here the general community buys biggest cars, V8's,
big 6 cylinder jobs, high performance motors big 4X4's (suv's), and
there is gross hooning in the streets burning rubber and fuel. the
gov' sees all that and says well what the heck they have more
disposaable income that we reckon they have so let's jack up charges
and prices. and a family with mum, dad and 4 kids will soon be a house
of 5 or 6 cars in the driveway.

the environment or resource conservation has nought to do with it,
they have divided the community and built a fear campagne and have all
running scared.

that's it in a nut-shell.

On Thu, 05 Jul 2007 16:13:45 GMT, "Keith Kent"
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len & bev

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 05-07-2007, 08:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 5 Jul, 17:13, "Keith Kent" wrote:
It makes me chuckle ,look in the mags/media about using water sensibly,use
drought tolerant plants in borders/baskets ,store water, you know what i
mean.Us gardeners/public have had this rammed down us throats and now we
have had that much rain we have not got a clue what to do with it!

(snip reluctant fabulous rant)

I know i have had my rant but feel we really need to get back to black and
white so we all know where we stand,there is so much bullshit in this
country.

Thought of this last night. I tuck myself in with a new mag (for me at
least) Garden Illustrated. Every article are all about saving water
and drought tolerant plants. Now, apart from what you've said and said
it loud and clear and right, what we read must have been written two
years ago surely!! Frankly it's totally out of tune with what's
happening ...

Old 06-07-2007, 09:01 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Keith Kent" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote in message
Keith Kent wrote:
[...]

in other words, if you want to effect change get serious, not do things 1/2
hearted. Here in NZ some of the major supermarkets are attempting to cut
plastic bag usage. Signs now appera around supermarkets asking people if
they need a bag, multiple use bags are on sale. Simple way to drastically
cut back on bags is (1) not offer the *******s or (2) every checkout
operator ASKS the customer 'do you want a plastic bag' rather than rely on
the shopper to decline them.

I fkn hate the sight of the amount of plastic bags my extended family brings
in to my household, my workmates bring in to work. I will almost welcome the
end of oil for the simple fact of getting rid of boggin plastic bags.

I spent 3 weeks in Cuba earlier this year. They went through a massive
economic decline with the end of the soviet union. Overnight things just
simply were not offered, they were not available, the government refused to
supply certain things. A slightly different scenario however the whole
economy simply had to make strategic choices about what was offered and what
was most important to keep supplying. The country got real serious real fast
about priorities.

The country has many draw backs and some major issues facing it however the
lack of a consumer culture is stark compared to NZ. Even there though
everything bought in a shop was offered with a ******* plastic bag.

rob

Old 06-07-2007, 12:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

La Puce wrote:
[...]

Problem is that these forecasts are just guesses, now the "experts" have
decided the ice caps will not melt after all!
Old 06-07-2007, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Jul, 12:33, Broadback wrote:
Problem is that these forecasts are just guesses, now the "experts" have
decided the ice caps will not melt after all!

Did you get the news on Bloomberg? Where?! They've said that the
stability of the ice cap is not as bad as they all thought and that
the southern-central Greenland ice cap did not disappear during the
last interglacial period, about 120,000 years ago, when the
temperatures were about 5 degrees Celsius warmer than today. Really?!
Today I'm wearing my winter coat. It's freezing ... sob

Old 06-07-2007, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"La Puce" wrote in message
Today I'm wearing my winter coat. It's freezing ... sob

It's no warmer here. The Mrs has been sitting wearing a jumper AND coat IN
THE HOUSE!
Tomorrow we are having a huge lorry load of logs delivered - supposed to be
Winter fuel. I can't believe we need to have a log fire burning in July.

David.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Jul, 16:42, "David \(Normandy\)"
wrote:
It's no warmer here. The Mrs has been sitting wearing a jumper AND coat IN
THE HOUSE!
Tomorrow we are having a huge lorry load of logs delivered - supposed to be
Winter fuel. I can't believe we need to have a log fire burning in July.

I've got one going as I write. Third one this week. Ridiculous.
However, harvested lots more peas but there's lots of mildew here and
there and rot. I've got a close eye on the broadbeans - fat gorgeous
pods but beans are minute. I don't want to wait too long before I
loose them all. Some have started to get some black spots. Our sprouts
don't look too good either - they're not as advanced as I had hoped.
deep sigh But it hasn't rained since 1.30pm. Must be a miracle or
something...

Old 07-07-2007, 07:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message

"La Puce" wrote in message
Today I'm wearing my winter coat. It's freezing ... sob

It's no warmer here. The Mrs has been sitting wearing a jumper AND coat IN
THE HOUSE!
Tomorrow we are having a huge lorry load of logs delivered - supposed to
be Winter fuel. I can't believe we need to have a log fire burning in
July.

David.

Our central heating came on yesterday afternoon!!
Jenny

Old 07-07-2007, 12:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

JennyC writes

"David (Normandy)" wrote in message
.. .

"La Puce" wrote in message
Today I'm wearing my winter coat. It's freezing ... sob

It's no warmer here. The Mrs has been sitting wearing a jumper AND coat IN
THE HOUSE!
Tomorrow we are having a huge lorry load of logs delivered - supposed to
be Winter fuel. I can't believe we need to have a log fire burning in
July.

Our central heating came on yesterday afternoon!!

Yesterday we headed into the hills orchid hunting, despite the dire
weather forecast (steady drizzle all day interspersed with more serious
episodes of rain). Windscreen wipers going all the way along the A65. It
stopped raining as we arrived and by the end of the afternoon we were
lying sunbathing on the short turf surrounded by wildflowers.

Today is hot again, though with cloudy intervals. I've instructed a son
to mow the lawn - it may be some time before there's another chance ;-)
--
Kay
Old 07-07-2007, 08:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article .com, La
Puce writes
[...]

It depends where you live. If you live in the part of the world where I
live it is an issue as we rely very heavily on rain which fell 6 months
ago and 100 miles away. If you live in Manchester it is 5 minutes and
where you are standing now.

In Essex, particularly in the south of the county, we simply cannot rely
on local rainfall to satisfy our gardening needs even during a wet year.
Either we take measures to capture and keep more of what we get or we
adopt growing regimes which include taking into account the drought
tolerance, or lack of, of our precious plants. There is no alternative,
nor has there even been.

Mind you we do have clear skies and sunshine in abundance which adds a
day or two to our growing season which is nice.

--
steve auvache
Sunny Essex