Old 31-03-2003, 03:20 PM
Pat Meadows

Default What makes a "Jersey Tomato" ??

On Sun, 30 Mar 2003 16:26:56 -0800 (PST), Ninja Daisy
] wrote:

Does anyone know what makes a "Jersey Tomato," and is there anything that my friend can do to replicate them in her west coast backyard? Is it a specific variety (Beefsteak? Big Boy?), or should she try conditioning her soil in a particular way? Or - do y

ou think that there's an un-duplicable something about the mid-atlantic climate that gives the tomatoes their flavor? I looked through some previous posts in the group, and saw a few posts about companion planting - maybe that will help.

My guess is it's the weather/climate. I've grown (and
bought) spectacularly good tomatoes in South Jersey and
Delaware.

Now I'm in a colder, less humid climate and the tomatoes are
disappointing by comparison - less taste.

Your friend might try growing the variety 'Rutgers' - those
are certainly Jersey tomatoes. Or she might try growing her
tomatoes in an unheated greenhouse to provide them more heat
and humidity than they'll otherwise get. I don't know if
this would help.

Pat

--
CLICK DAILY TO FEED THE HUNGRY