Old 07-07-2007, 04:26 AM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Cyli Cyli is offline

Default Goldfish mix

On Thu, 5 Jul 2007 16:11:38 CST, ~ jan wrote:

My concern is I've heard of goldfish that supposedly suck the eyes off of
telescope goldfish.Ewww Do you think this will be a problem with the
above fish in 1000 gallons of pond? ~ jan

Sounds like a not very urbane urban legend kind of story to me. There
are so many things that can happen to body parts that get too far from
bodies, especially delicate ones like eyes. An infection hits and
rots the eye before it's noticed, another fish just brushes a sharp
fin against the eye, the fish bangs into the side of the aquarium /
pond, whatever. Next thing you know, the goldfish are being blamed
because their little mouths go suck suck.

It's one of those that sounds reasonable at first glance, which is the
essence of any urban legend, but wouldn't hold up well under much
examination. Think of the one about the guy under the car at the gas
station. The one where he supposedly lurks with a knife to slash the
ankles of the female filling the car. Really think about it. Sneer
at it.
--

r.bc: vixen
Minnow goddess, Speaker to squirrels, willow watcher.

http://www.visi.com/~cyli