Old 07-07-2007, 10:41 AM posted to aus.gardens
Leftred Leftred is offline

Default monsteria--no seeds

"Loosecanon" wrote in message

"John Savage" wrote in message
om...
It's the season for monsteria deliciosa. I don't have any growing
myself, but do come across the odd windfall on suburban footpaths. :-)

I'm always intrigued by the fruit's apparent absence of seeds, as this
kind of defeats the propagation purpose of fruit as I understand it.

Any ideas?

I seem to remember years ago that the Monstera is helped in pollination by
a beetle. As the beetle is is not native to Australia it will not set seed
as it isn't here. But good news all is not lost. I can vividly see Don
Burke massaging the warm flower with his hands. Was rather saucy
television for its time slot. They said this method was very successful.

Cheers

Richard

I found seeds in one of my monstera fruit earlier this year and potted them
in some seed mix from curiousity. Two of them sprouted and are growing quite
well.
I am in Brisbane and we eat the fruit, but this was the first time that I
found seeds. Previously I have just taken cuttings off the main stem, which
have always grown successfully.