Old 07-07-2007, 09:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default small bushes or ground cover for bad soil

"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Eigenvector" wrote in message
. ..

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in message
"Eigenvector" wrote in message
Is there a plant or small bush that can be used in areas where the
soil is terrible?

I have a section of ground around my patio right over the septic tank
that has terrible fill dirt soil, lots of rocks, and one part gets
full sun and another shade from a big Doug Fir. So I'm looking for
something that doesn't have huge roots, and will survive in the
Seattle Area. I was looking at Periwinkle, but that is a bit too
aggressive for me - I don't need any more invasive species in my yard.
I've also ruled out Ivy due to the habit of vermin using it as a home.

Just something leafy and maybe flowers.

Pachysandra will thrive in some truly ugly soil and situations. In my
previous home, it lived in a spot where chunks of ice the size of shoe
boxes fell on it all winter, and it was roasted and dry all summer. The
plants just laughed at this treatment. However, you have absolutely no
excuse for not buying a bag of composted manure and mixing it into your
soil. While you're on your knees, you may as well sift out as many
rocks as you can.

Well, actually now that you mention it I'm just now on my way to the
store to pick up a mattock. I was about to put up some borders and
noticed that about 1/2" penetration was about all I could get out of my
shovel. I think its time to start hacking away at my yard. So yes I
guess the soil will be much improved - but my basic need remains.
Something that is tough, self-maintaining, and not a host to vermin like
ivy.

I have a patch of Hen and Chicks in my front yard, the only plant I've
ever seen that crowds out rabbit brush and bermuda grass. But I think
this particular spot is too shady for them.

Pachysandra. They don't HAVE to have the soil enriched, but it's silly
not to, considering how cheap composted manure is. These plants don't
have very deep roots, either. As far as vermin, any ground cover that
provides a hiding place will provide shelter for vermin. But, if you need
a ground cover, what choice do you have?

Yeah I suppose. I have something pictured in my mind, but just don't have
the knowledge to define it well enough.

I took a gander at the Pach stuff, I'm just not sure. I notice that it's
related to boxwood, something that did not survive planting in that
location - too much full sun I think. I'm not slamming your suggestion,
just pondering.

I may just go ahead and put a boatload of lavender there. I really like
that stuff and it seems to thrive in the sun.

As to the mattock, I didn't realize they were so cheap, had I known that I
would have gotten one sooner. Oh well, off to break soil.

Distantly related to boxwood. It'll do fine. If pachysandra won't grow
there, nothing will except nasty weeds.