Old 08-07-2007, 12:39 AM posted to rec.gardens
Eigenvector Eigenvector is offline

Default small bushes or ground cover for bad soil

"Jim Kingdon" wrote in message
news
I may just go ahead and put a boatload of lavender there. I really like
that stuff and it seems to thrive in the sun.

If lavender (or other choices like thyme, creeping thyme, etc) will
grow, then you probably have many choices. I was assuming the spot
was too shady and the soil too poor for that (and the "does not harbor
vermin" criterion I was also having trouble with, as I would think
that "vermin" - or "wildlife" according to one's perspective - would
be happy with a fairly wide variety of vegetation, potentially).

If Pachysandra doesn't excite you, it is unlikely to be your only
choice, especially if you do end up doing at least a bit of soil
improvement.

I'd consider one plant for the sunny half and something different for
the shady half. Especially if whatever you try first only thrives on
one side or the other.

As to the vermin thing. I did volunteer work at the University doing
landscaping and groundskeeping. We tore out all the ivy and juniper bushes
around the dorms - rats had infested the ivy and juniper bushes so the U
tore it all out to get rid of their homes. I still vividly remember all the
rats fleeing as we moved into the area Bobcat engine gunning. I understand
why the rats and mice were there, years of student crap tossed out of
windows were feeding them.