Old 08-07-2007, 06:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default monsteria--no seeds

"Loosecanon" writes:
I seem to remember years ago that the Monstera is helped in pollination by a
beetle. As the beetle is is not native to Australia it will not set seed as
it isn't here. But good news all is not lost. I can vividly see Don Burke
massaging the warm flower with his hands. Was rather saucy television for
its time slot. They said this method was very successful.

I remember that episode, too, and I think you may be misremembering it.
I don't think it was a monsteria, but a similar though much larger garden
flower. Monsterias around here seem to have no problems being pollinated.
Being as they are in mostly shade, you may well be spot on about a beetle
being the pollen transport; bees probably would overlook a flower hidden
in deep shade.