Old 08-07-2007, 06:43 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default monsteria--no seeds

" writes:
Some like bananas do quite well propagating vegetatively. Could they
do that indefinitely in the wild?

What you wrote sounds fair enough, but I'm not so sure about bananas.
I seem to recall that wild bananas are almost all seeds and little
flesh, the seeds being about the size of custard apple seeds. I can't
say I've ever heard of monkeys eating wild bananas as part of their
natural diet. Anyone?

Monsterias are in a different category, because I think that these are
still the wild cultivar, I don't think they have been through selective
breeding for cultivation. It does seem a waste of energy to produce a
large juicy fruit which does nothing to propagate the species when it
contains no seeds. Is it a native plant here? I don't see any evidence
of any creatures valuing its fruit. (How to explain why Indian Mynahs
leave it alone?)