Old 08-07-2007, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy Rose Billy Rose is offline

Default Do i let Santa Rosa plums ripen on tree?

In article ,
John Savage wrote:

" writes:
and firm with full color, but still sour. Also, what is the white
powder on the skin? I think it's a normal thing. It's not mildew. It

All plums get that dusty bloom on their skin, as do grapes. I think
it's a fungus that lives on the sugar that gets through the skin from

Waxy substance on grapes will collect yeast from the soil over time. If
the skins of the pressed red grapes are return to the field every year,
the wine yeasts will become the dominate yeasts.
within the ripening fruit. Quite harmless. I think it's called must,

Must is the skin, juice, and seeds of the crushed grapes along with any
critters that didn't move fast enough.
though my Macquarie Dict will have none of it! Nor does it mention
elephants ...

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/