Old 05-07-2007, 09:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Do i let Santa Rosa plums ripen on tree?

I have a nice crop of Santa Rosa plums due to the rare cold snap last
winter in Southern Calif. Should i allow them to ripen on the tree or
pick them and let them sweeten up in the house?They are a good size
and firm with full color, but still sour. Also, what is the white
powder on the skin? I think it's a normal thing. It's not mildew. It
sort of looks like a protective cover to refelect the sunlight so the
skin doesn't burn. Not sure. Anyone know? Thanks.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

" writes:
and firm with full color, but still sour. Also, what is the white
powder on the skin? I think it's a normal thing. It's not mildew. It

All plums get that dusty bloom on their skin, as do grapes. I think
it's a fungus that lives on the sugar that gets through the skin from
within the ripening fruit. Quite harmless. I think it's called must,
though my Macquarie Dict will have none of it! Nor does it mention
elephants ...
Old 08-07-2007, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
John Savage wrote:

" writes:
and firm with full color, but still sour. Also, what is the white
powder on the skin? I think it's a normal thing. It's not mildew. It

All plums get that dusty bloom on their skin, as do grapes. I think
it's a fungus that lives on the sugar that gets through the skin from

Waxy substance on grapes will collect yeast from the soil over time. If
the skins of the pressed red grapes are return to the field every year,
the wine yeasts will become the dominate yeasts.
within the ripening fruit. Quite harmless. I think it's called must,

Must is the skin, juice, and seeds of the crushed grapes along with any
critters that didn't move fast enough.
though my Macquarie Dict will have none of it! Nor does it mention
elephants ...

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 08-07-2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 7, 10:44 pm, John Savage wrote:
" writes:
and firm with full color, but still sour. Also, what is the white
powder on the skin? I think it's a normal thing. It's not mildew. It

All plums get that dusty bloom on their skin, as do grapes. I think
it's a fungus that lives on the sugar that gets through the skin from
within the ripening fruit. Quite harmless. I think it's called must,
though my Macquarie Dict will have none of it! Nor does it mention
elephants ...

Thanks for your reply. I'm going to read up on must. Cherers, Bob.

Old 08-07-2007, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

" writes:
and firm with full color, but still sour. Also, what is the white
powder on the skin? I think it's a normal thing. It's not mildew. It

All plums get that dusty bloom on their skin, as do grapes. I think
it's a fungus that lives on the sugar that gets through the skin from
within the ripening fruit. Quite harmless. I think it's called must,
though my Macquarie Dict will have none of it! Nor does it mention
elephants ...

I did a search. It is called plum bloom and it is a protective coating
that prevents the fruit from drying out,

[IMG] code is On

Santa Rosa plum ceed Texas 4 25-04-2007 06:04 PM
to let spike or not to let spike? J Fortuna Orchids 15 05-12-2005 03:38 AM
Broken branch on nectarine tree - will they ripen? Richard Sherratt Australia 14 08-02-2004 07:26 PM
Why won't my Peppers ripen? David W.E. Roberts United Kingdom 22 24-08-2003 09:32 PM
Why won't my peppers ripen? chileBeasT Edible Gardening 5 03-08-2003 10:02 PM